Wednesday, May 20, 2015

word up to my youngest bro


Dear Tony,

Well, I just heard from Ronnie. He decided to leave Michael & Melanie's and go back to the woods. Why? He cited the crying of the babies. I think it's because he had $20 from Michael, from helping with some car work, burning a hole in his pocket.
What an idiot.

Smitty is still working on getting the trailer ready for habitation. The flea infestation, both inside and out, has been ferocious. I was going to take Ronnie over there yesterday, to do some work in that yard while the inside was being bombed. Instead, when I called Ronnie to say I was on my way, he told me not to bother, as the bombing the day before had not killed the fleas. Smitty was getting the city to turn the water back on so the yard could be sprayed with insecticide.
Notice that Ronnie did not call me to tell me of the change in plans. He let me go ahead and start on my way out to Highway 17, rather than tell me so I could make other plans.
What an inconsiderate idiot.

I do hope Ronnie will stay sober. If he does not, Smitty will not let him move into that trailer.
It sure is hot to be choosing to live in a tent instead of a house.
What an idiot.

Still, I have to accept that this is not my problem. Ronnie is a grown man, entitled to make his own decisions. Or so the folks at Memorial Hospital repeatedly said.

I will continue to pray for him to make better decisions.
I will continue to pray for him to seek help for his alcoholism.
I will continue to pray.

The Serenity Prayer
O God, give us the serenity to accept what cannot be changed,
The courage to change what can be changed,
and the wisdom to know the one from the other.

- by Reinhold Niebuhr, 1930's

with my love

No comments: