Friday, June 7, 2013

but they marry brunettes

The Lucas is celebrating a blonde's birthday this weekend! Not, not mine! Silly! The film for tonight was "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes", released in the early 1950's. Although it was featuring Marilyn Monroe, her side-kick, Jane Russell, acted and sang circles around her. Understandable, I would guess, as it was made during the early years of Marilyn's career, where mostly all she had to do was model tight clothing and pout a bit.
Apparently, though, men don't mind, as long as the "dumb blonde" golddigger is on their arm and not someone else's. Really? Perhaps, especially if the odds are stacked in her favor.
Earlier today, I cleaned out my office. I had been asked to return the key, as I was no longer full-time, and had responded that I was on holiday and would not return until Monday. They said that would be fine, but they did have a new hire that needed that space.
Today, I took my time and packed out. I had the forethought to bring five of those large, cloth, grocery bags to hold all of my files of student papers and papers that had not yet been filed and desk contents.
That was not nearly enough.
Fortunately, I had a couple of boxes there for my books. I also had a few plastic bags and some smaller cloth bags from school events.
That just barely took care of all of it.
I spent almost four hours packing up all of my work materials. Emptying the filing cabinet, emptying the cupboards. Removing my pictures and periodic tables and photographs of lecture notes written on whiteboards. Taking down all of the wonderful, supportive messages from my students of these past three years.
Cleaning the disk drive of all the files I had created.
ALL of them.
My trunk was packed to the top. The back seat was full, on the seat itself as well as on the floorboard. The passenger seat had one of the boxes of books.
Amazing.
All of it is now on my living room floor, waiting to be sorted.
That I can do at my leisure.
On Monday, I'll make one last visit to my office, to throw out what couldn't be recycled, to take "Light The Night" fundraising materials to the dean's office. Then I'll turn in my keys to that door and the lockable cupboard and the filing cabinet.
This evening, though, was mine to enjoy. It had begun at a place that serves candied bacon to its drinking patrons. That's right, dearies, I said CANDIED BACON. Long, crispy, sugary, strips of pork yumminess. Yes, indeed, the NK! group convened at Andaz for "school's out!" social hour. Although we only had a small group on this outing, we were in high spirits and chatty! Such a lovely way to transition from my afternoon's activities to an evening with Marilyn!

No comments: