Tuesday, November 5, 2013

no incumbents for me, please - I've had enough

Today was an election day and the biggest item on the agenda was whether or not to allow our elected politicians to continue taking an extra 1% of our pay. Sure, on the face of it, we were voting on the continuation of our sales tax being 7% instead of 6% (the base 4% rate here in Georgia, plus an additional 1% and yet another 1%, which both seem permanently attached).
The upshot of it all is the extra 1% tax remains for another three years.
Oh, joy.
I know some of the funds will be used for worthwhile expenses, like repairing drainage problems and such. After all, the politicians will have to do so, won't they? Then they will have those good for the populace items to wave in front of us the NEXT time the "penny" tax comes up for a vote.
But they also have big-ticket boondoggles they intend to fund this time around. Does the city truly need a new civic center? I think not. The city needs smarter planners who can better utilize the resources we already have.
I guess someone's brother-in-law or cousin are needing the construction business.

My British former teacher, Cedric, sent these to me.
They would be jokes were they not true.
You'll see.


If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.
~Jay Leno~

The problem with political jokes is they get elected.
~Henry Cate, VII~

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.
~Aesop~

If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these State of the Union speeches, there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven.
~Will Rogers~

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.
~Nikita Khrushchev~

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it.
~Clarence Darrow~

Why pay money to have your family tree traced; go into politics and your opponents will do it for you.
~Author unknown~

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel.
~John Quinton~

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.
~Oscar Ameringer~

I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them.
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952~

A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country.
~ Tex Guinan~

I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.
~Charles de Gaulle~

Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.
~Doug Larson~


No comments: