Thursday, November 7, 2013

brunch on a Thursday

This has been a good day.
That bears repeating.
This has been a good day.

Today, I had a wonderful brunch with my Auntie and Uncle, on my ex's side. They really enjoy Huey's and had come from Hilton Head, where they are taking a respite from events of the past month.
What events?
Well, first and foremost, the unforeseen death of their first-born son at only 54 years old.
The travel from Virginia to Tennessee to make arrangements for his funeral.
The burial.
Then the emptying of his house, a process which fell squarely on Auntie's shoulders and took three weeks.
Very sad.
Today, she spoke to me of the details around his death. Of his impending eviction from the house he had lived in for so long, the house which had been in his sweetheart's name and was now to be returned to her family. Of his continuing deep depression while mourning his beloved. Of his plan to no longer be part of the deep sadness of the world. Of the friend who had an arranged time to come to his house. Of David's son coming by unexpectedly and finding his dad, of his son running down the street to the bank where his sister worked, saying to her "I think Dad has hurt himself".
Very sad.
Her voice broke when speaking of her grandchildren's pain.

And so we turned the talk to the other grandchildren, all more than a decade younger than the two in Tennessee.
The two girls in Virginia, both involved with field hockey, one also with lacrosse, the other with soccer.
The boy and girl in Minnesota, now 9 and 7, respectively, and their friends and activities.
And I shared a photo on my phone from my Midwest-Canada Adventure last year when I had visited my ex and the Adams family in Michigan and we had dined at Buddy's.
And I shared a photo on my phone from this fall when the ex's stepsister and her family had visited Savannah from Paris and we had dined at Paula Deen's place.
And we ate Eggs Sardou and Seafood Omelette and Shrimp Creole, sharing bites, as is the custom with the ex's family.
And we shared beignets, with our meals, because dessest needs to be eaten along with, or before, not after.
Life is short and good times, and good things, are to be celebrated.

No comments: