Tuesday, December 1, 2015

taking a stand


Dagnabbit.
As much as I have enjoyed going to the baseball games these past two decades, and as much as I have enjoyed cheering for the Sand Gnats alongside Mister Willie, I don't know that I'm going to be as devoted for these new folks.
Honestly.
They've recently posted the results of their search for a new team name, as 'Sand Gnats' no longer exists.

Savannah Anchors
Savannah Ports
Savannah Seagulls
Savannah Bananas
Savannah Party Animals

Seriously? These were the "top five" gleaned from "over 1000 suggestions" from baseball fans???
Not Savannah Swarm (suggested by Sherry)? That would have been a very nice homage to the twenty years with the Sand Gnats.
Not Savannah Shamrocks (suggested by Jim C)? That would have pointed to our fine Irish heritage.
Not Savannah Sparrows (my suggestion)? That would have brought attention to the little birds first found here, but which are now all over the Southeast.
Not Daffin Ducks (suggested by Lee M)? Not only would that refer to the park where the stadium is located, but it also brings to mind that funny cartoon character.

I swear, right here and now, I will not go to the games if "Party Animals" is chosen.
I will not.

Fans First Entertainment, also known as Savannah Baseball 2016, supposedly embrace the philosophy of a fun environment for fans of all ages. How much fun could it be for children if they're amongst a horde of screaming drunks at a game? And you know that will be the case if "Party Animals" becomes the team's name.
It'll be 'Drunk Night', aka 'Thirsty Thursday', at every game.
Those were the night games I opted to miss.
I already have alcoholics in my family, thanks, and I'm willing to bet most other folks do, too.
I choose to not watch other drunks.
What say you?

4 comments:

Marie said...

December 3, 2015:

Hi Faustina!

Thank you for your email! We are taking everyone's comments into consideration as we narrow down our choices even more. Austin, our Director of Fan Development, is going to give you a call this afternoon sometime to further discuss your concerns and to share more with you about who we are!

Please let me know if there is anything else you need!

Marie Gentry
Ballpark Offices Coordinator
Savannah Baseball
(912) 712 - 2482

Sarah L-R said...

December 1 at 5:10pm

I'm not so fond of bananas or party animals. Seagulls are cool!

Jim Casey said...

December 1 at 4:48pm

Anchors has to be out. Too many negative connotations. "Anchors sink in the standings."

Sandy Karaoke said...

December 1 at 4:50pm

And seagulls poop all over the place...might make us seem kinda badass.