Thursday, December 10, 2015

rashes, rashes, rashes!


Trust me, if you say it like Jan of "The Brady Bunch", it's pretty funny.
That's the only way to look at it.

Today, I spent four hours at the VA Outpatient Clinic.
I had made an appointment on Monday for 10:30 this morning. I was a little late, but that wasn't the issue. I had thought I might have shingles, but that was not the issue, either. (Shingles affects only one side of the body, I learned.)

The issue was the clinic was on holiday schedule. So, even though the place wasn't that busy, I had to wait to see my doctor, after nurse Kim had verified that I did not have shingles. Then I had to wait for the pharmacist to release the Benadryl and the Decadron steroid for the two shots I needed. (The pharmacist was at lunch.) Then, my doc had to prescribe a different steroid as the pharmacy had the other drug on back-order. Then, we had to wait for my doc to get back from lunch so she could order a rash test to be performed, with the drawing of the six tubes of blood to accomplish that.
Sigh.
Kim was great. I knew none of this was her fault, so I was patient. What was my other option? Be snitty and ruin both of our days?
I opted for the less stressful choice.
Kim made sure the Benadryl injection in my left buttock was the final procedure. Then, she encouraged me, yet again, to drive straight home, as quickly as possible.
She wanted to be sure I didn't fall asleep on the way.
I did as she requested.
I made it home in time to fix some lunch before I passed out.
I slept for an hour on the couch.
Then I slept another two hours in my bed.
I would have crashed out longer if I had not set an alarm. I wanted to make sure I saw tonight's episode of "The Big Bang Theory".
I'm glad I did! Sheldon has a musical tune plaguing him for most of the show. Finally, he realizes the song is "Darlin'" and recognizes that his subconscious mind is telling him he wants to make up with Amy. She is "the fabric softener of his heart". I do love how that boy's mind works!
He rushes over to her apartment and the show ends with them in an endless kissing session.
Very nice!
Then I watched most of "Toy Story".
Very nice, too!

And what was my medical issue?
I was diagnosed as having hives from an allergic reaction.
Again.
I first had it in June, while at McKee Gardens in Vero Beach. I had thought it was heat rash, exacerbated by stress. (That was when my car battery died and stranded me on a very hot day.)
That rash on my lower arms had lasted well into my trip to the Polynesian Isles. Hydrocortisone cream seemed to have handled it.
Then, only two months later, I had the poison ivy incident. That rocked on for a month, with the rash on my arms, chest, and legs. Hydrocortisone was alternated with benadryl itch cream, as well as the two-week Prednisone regimen and oral benadryl.
Shite.
This latest rash from hell is on both arms, from mid-forearm all the way up to my shoulders. Not very itchy, except at night, or when I wear sweaters.
I've had it for about a month.
The usual at-home creams didn't faze it.
Now that school has finished and my grades are turned in, it was time to take care of me. The result of the bloodwork will be known in the next week or so. Meanwhile, back to the daily children's Benadryl doses.
At least they come in grape flavor.
(smile)

1 comment:

me said...

Oh!

One last thing: I should maybe start eating more licorice.
Apparently, it's good for hives.
But I need to be sure it's actually LICORICE, and not just anise flavoring.