Tuesday, January 19, 2016

pinkies



I had only been there once in the last fifteen years or so.
The place was a favorite for some of the PFSS's Wednesday night film followers. Back in August, when I was so desolated by the damage to my car and my psyche, those friends carried me to this watering hole after a film noir evening.

I knew my ex had some fond memories of Pinkie Masters bar. So, when the news broke about the place closing down, I sent the article to him.
Why was it closing?
A current bartender and a former one had come to blows one night, over who knows what. The upshot of it was the former bartender (Catfish, the same guy known at the baseball stadium) was suing the other bartender and the bar as a whole.
They closed before the new year, to keep from having to pay the $5000 for a new liquor license.


me: Did you get the story about Pinkie Masters closing?

the ex: Yes, I did, thank you! You know I went inside that place maybe 3 times in my life. One of them was with cousin David when he wanted to explore the "magnificent dives" around Savannah, sort of like our family's old Sunset Cafe in Hamtramck.

me: Yeah, I thought you would find it of interest. All because two bartenders couldn't get along.

the ex: That same night we also went to Jim Collins Bar' where Caroline the former receptionist from Z102 was a volunteer bartender. We then went to McDonough's and saw Monica McDermott and her teacher friend Jennifer there.

me: I remember.
me: David thought you were magic. :-)

the ex: Then there was Dee Shurling hostessing at Huey's the next day. Yeah, I think David got a new respect for cousin Jeffrey that trip. :-)

me: I'm sure he did! All grown up and knowing all those women everywhere you went. :-)

the ex: I miss him.

me: I know. Hard to think about TN and not instantly bring him to mind.

the ex: I'm sure this is something I've said a few times in the last decade... Although Brian and I are about the same age and were quite close growing up, as I got older I was bonding more with David. Maybe it was the Tennessee connection, maybe we were just two rapscallions that grew to realize we had more in common than we could have guessed.

me: Plus, by the time you and he were growing closer, Brian had little kids to deal with.

the ex: Could be. Proximity, too. Could have been a lot of things.

the ex: Christopher and Stephanie love them some cousin Jeffrey. I think I remind them some of their dad.

me: Sure thing. You are looser than Brian. He tries to come off as loose, but he doesn't hit it.

the ex: He's quite organized and driven. We went down to the gulf of Foster Falls during David's funeral weekend. We had hiked down there during summer camp. I had no idea we were going to be going down the slippery rocks and what not, 40 years later. I thought we were just going to peer into the gorge from the top!

me: Crazy! No way I would have done that. The girls tried to get me closer to the lip of the cliff behind the house they had rented. Nope!

the ex: I only did it because we had done it so many years ago and well, if Brian was taking Lily and Nikolas down there...

me: :-) I know I have always been a klutz. I try not to let myself be put into a position where the tendency might put me in a hospital. Ya know?

the ex: I was worried myself but couldn't let it show!


Nice stroll down memory lane for both of us.
(smile)
Now, I'll have to tell him about Juarez and Johnny Harris closing...
Sure they're just two restaurants, but they were part of our lives and Savannah's history.

No comments: