Thursday, January 21, 2016

yonder come balleilakka, my girl!



Savannah Sings!
Scratch that.
Savannah children sing!
Many thanks were heaped on John Tisbert this time around, too. He is, and has been for at least the last decade, the choir teacher at Garrison (Middle) School of Visual and Performing Arts.
Tis, as I know him, recognized years ago that this town was blessed with a wealth of young singing talent... with no showcase for those voices except in the school auditorium. He was the one who initiated the Invitational Youth Choir Festival so that youngsters of varying ages could all celebrate the joy of singing and share the experience with each other.
Amen to that! The options have certainly changed since I was a girl in Glee Club! Hooray for Tis!

Savannah Sings 2016! Savannah's Youth Choir Festival was held at the Lucas Theatre. Hooray! That meant I was able to be there for the show again as an usher!
Such a wide range of ages! From first-graders to college students, all were there! From Savannah, Richmond Hill, and Statesboro they came! With parents, younger and older siblings, and teachers they came!
Such a fabulous variety of music, too!
The first-graders, part of the Apprentice Choir of the Savannah Children's Choir, did one of my favorites this time around. With great enthusiasm and energy, they performed "Yonder Come Day"! Joyous!
Another favorite performance came from the same group I had so enjoyed last year: the Windsor Forest High School Troubadours. Titled simply "On Stage with the Temptations", their medley included one of my top songs ever! "My Girl" always makes me smile and sing along and tap my toes and think of Mama! The song, which came out in 1964, has been dear to me for as long as I can remember!
The Savannah Arts Academy Chorale then brought a new favorite into my world! I had never even heard of "Balleilakka" before, but I could certainly picture it as music which should have been in "The Fifth Element". Instead, it's from a Bollywood film - no wonder it appealed to me so much!
Thanks, y'all!
Keep up the great work!

No comments: