Tuesday, December 24, 2013

o holy night



Yes, I know the photo isn't centered.
In that way, it mirrors life perfectly.
My life, that is.
That's truly the only life I lay any claim to knowing much about.
Which is a truth for everyone.
We all have one life, one opportunity to experience the sights and sounds and tastes and smells and feel of what it means to be alive on this magical planet as it circles its yellow star.
Tonight, I experienced something different from the Christmas Eve routine I have followed for more than half my life. My stepbrother George had hosted last year's family gathering and no one had stepped forward to do so this year.
Completely undrestandable.
Sometimes, a break is needed, to allow new strengths to be found.
This year, instead of meeting in the early evening hours to break bread with family and share gifts, I found my seat at God's table with my church family.
The experience was incredible.
The service was filled with scripture readings, liturgical dance, and song.
Lots of song.
In other words, the service was much like the usual uplifting Sunday services here.
The pacing was different, though.
And there was no sermon.
Some of the early songs made me miss Mama terribly.
Others brought the loss of Daddy to my mind and my weeping eyes.
I found myself going through the litany of family members lost, recently and through the past years.
Then, there was a shift, in both the tone and tempo of the music, an uplifting, reassuring hand upon my heart.
Quite wondrous.
That calm, joyful reassurance was maintained throughout the balance of the service.
Most wondrous.

And quite a few of us (at least thirty!) even went caroling in the neighborhood afterward, ending the time with the church family by singing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" to Miss Virginia, as she swang on the front porch at the house she has lived in much of her life.

My love, and many thanks, always, to the ever-huggable, ever-hugging Hai, and my gratitude especially for his company on this different journey tonight.


No comments: