Friday, January 15, 2016

hangin' with the bfe's old lady


So, I agreed a few weeks ago to tend to Chloe the Cat while the physicist went off to Colorado for a week.

Yes, this was also the very first week of classes, with me having a new schedule to work out, too.
That's okay. I would just pop in on her every couple of days, pet her a bit and give her some treats and a can of wet food. Definitely doable.

He left on Sunday morning.
That evening, I'm at the reception for the free music at Asbury Memorial. "A Winter Concert - Music For The Heartstrings" was the annual piano offering from Sanford Jones, this time accompanied by fellow pianist Marvin Keenze, violinist Effie Mydell, and the ever-lovely singer, Kim Michael Polote.
My favorites, of course, were the tunes penned by Johnny Mercer: "P.S. I Love You", "Autumn Leaves", and "Moon River". Kim has such a great voice for jazz - all were very nice!
Of course, more classical pieces were also present - oh, yes! Brahms, Bizet, Bloch, and Gottschalk were all represented in the form of a violin-piano sonata, a child's ball, poems of the sea, and a creole-flavored danza!
There was even a set done to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Marian Anderson's repertoire for her farewell performance. Kim started with "Let Us break Bread Together", a song we do there for communion, from time to time. That was followed by "Deep River", a spiritual that I may have heard once before. Very lovely piece. The final song was "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands" - and I challenge you to find anyone who doesn't know that one!
After the 2 1/2 hour concert, I was enjoying the punch and cookies - and truffles! - in the social hall and chatting with others about the wonderful music. Effie's mom even came up and apologized for talking during one of the songs! How very nice of her!
Then, I get a text.

him: Hey, Faustina, the Chlo has an infection...when you see her, one side of her face is engorged and there is a wound.
him: She has some antibiotic that we made yesterday. Could you give her 2 ml with her wet food?
him: The antibiotic is in a mortar and pestle next to her wet food in the kitchen.
me: Um...give it to her by just putting it in her food? How often?
him: Once a day would be fine I think, and in her wet food would be perfect. I hate that she is not well and I had to jet away. Give her good loves for me. Also just monitor how she is doing. She is eating and drinking and she wants loves. Give her some good pets for me.
me: Has she had the meds today?
him: Yes, I gave her a dose this morning.
me: Tomorrow is going to be very busy for me until after 8 pm.
me: Should I go now and give her another dose?

him: I think she is ok and can wait until tomorrow.
him: Thanks for offering. I really appreciate.
me: OK. I will see her as soon as I finish at Armstrong.
him: :) thank you so much.
him: It just sucks, just losing Tess.
me: Don't worry. I love her too.
him: Thank you so much Faustina. That really makes me feel better.
me: Heard.

Of course, I went to check up on the old girl. She was pretty wobbly, but gobbled treats readily enough. I sent him a photo of her doing that. Then I went ahead and opened a can of food and dosed some treats for her.

me: She has been on my lap nonstop. She was a little antsy for a bit, but has settled down nicely.
me: I put some meds on some treats on the box and she is eating them now. Good! Ate them ALL! Good girl!
me: I have explained to her that she has five more nights until you return. Then I explained to her that I would come every night so she could count down.
me: She is napping while the Simpsons are on. I told her I have to leave after that. She said ok. :)
him: I bet she either purred it or squeaked it!

On Monday, true to my word, I went to see her straight away after a full day with two lectures and a lab.
She was still wobbly, but greeted me at the front door.
Time for treats!
Time for pets!
Time for a photo to the bfe to show she is still alive!

me: She seems to be in better spirits tonight!
him: Oh very good! I am very happy to hear that.
me: She is def feeling better. Been grooming herself for the last thirty minutes.
him: That cat has been crazy grooming herself for a couple of weeks.. I worry she has a bit of OCD!
me: She seriously sat on my lap for a solid thirty minutes doing that.

Tuesday, after that crazy-early lab and my two lectures, I went home to get her something special: canned tuna. It's the cheap tuna I bought when I was feeling especially poor a while back.
She loves the stuff - the smellier, the better!
Of course I sent a photo of her digging into it, meds and all!


me: Tonight, I brought her smelly tuna. She loved it! Dove right in without getting pets first!
him: That's wonderful to hear! I was worried about leaving her but things seem to be good!
me: I tell you, this has been the most excited I've seen her about food. :-)
him: Yeah, she wasn't feeling so hot last week if you remember. She mainly slept like a rock.
me: She has good energy too and is not as wobbly as she was on Sunday.
him: I figured it was the flea medication.
him: Seems like it was a bit more. :(

I didn't mention that she was cold and shivered when she was on my lap.
I finally managed to turn on the heat and turn off the overhead fan in the living room. By the time I left three hours later, the shivering had stopped.

Wednesday, I didn't make it to see her until late.
PFS was showing the 1967 film "Die Wang Jiao Wa", also known as "Operation Lipstick" at the Sentient Bean, so I headed there first. What a funny Japanese spy movie, featuring a singing thief and her hapless brother!
By the time I arrived, Chloe wanted food!
But first, a photo for the bfe!

him: ha ha! A familiar face!
me: Seriously, she is so much better tonight!
him: I am sure your visits help too!
me: The Chloe says good night!

Thursday, by the time I was done with my two lectures and lab, all I wanted to do was to go home.
I resolved to go see Chloe today, during the day, and so I have.
She was not happy with me.
The food, yes.
Me, no.
She was done with getting pets from the wrong hands. I sent him the photo of her sitting beside me on the couch with her back to me.


him: I know she is in good loving hands with you.
me: She says I don't pet her right. She wants to know how much longer until you return.
him: Ha ha! Thanks so much for looking after the Chlo! I will be making my triumphant return to Savannah tomorrow!
me: That is what I told her. She is truly a one-man cat.
him: Ha ha! I love my kitteh. I hate leaving her. If I get sabbatical I will have to take her with me.. I can't be away for 5 months from my cat.
me: Most definitely not. She would become a recluse.
him: My cat!!! She can't become a recluse living like Luke on his isolated planet in The Force Awakens!!!! Where is her metal paw?
me: :)
him: Thank you for looking after my baby.

What a relief it will be when they are reunited!

No comments: