Sunday, February 8, 2009

Charleston

I was granted a brush with history last night. In a rare juxtaposition of stars, both stellar and entertainment, I witnessed Gary Erwin singing with my favorite blues band, Elliott & The Untouchables. Wow! And redheaded Kola Washington, a blues guitarist from Paris (that's France, not Tennessee) borrowed one of Elliott's guitars to add her stamp to this impromptu performance. Wow!

Gary Erwin, originally from Chicago, is the organizer of the Low Country Blues Bash in Charleston. He and Kola, both fresh from a visit in France, and had come by Wet Willie's to see how things were faring, check out the crowd, and had decided to stay for Elliott's second set. As it was already midnight, the audience had thinned out, just us diehards still thirsting for blues. Plus, as I had driven up from Savannah for this fix, I wasn't about to leave before the band was done for the night. Ya know?

So, there I was groovin' and consumed by the Waters-influenced tunes of Elliott, Naz, Sonny, Jimmy, and JT. My boys from Columbia, SC. Life was GOOD. I had arrived early, gotten my Voodoo Stew cd autographed, met some cool blues-lovin' folks and was dancing with them. Then, in the second set, Elliott introduced Gary, aka Shrimp City Slim, thanking him for bringing them to this city by the sea. Another song or two later, the man and the French sensation are up on stage, sharing the spotlight - not hogging it - with my boys. Magical, that's what it was. I left there on a cloud.

Ah, yes, LIFE is good!

No comments: