Friday, October 18, 2013

1 in a 1,000,000


On the 10th of this month, I received good news in my email:
Kiva just hit the 1 MILLION lender mark! You are now officially one in a million inspiring changemakers, pioneers, and poverty fighters! We can't thank you enough for helping Kiva get to this point.
On behalf of our borrowers and all of us at Kiva, thank you -- and congratulations on being one of the first!


I joined Kiva in July of 2012 because the Nerdfighters group was having a membership drive. (I no longer recall how I stumbled upon the Nerdfighters. The important thing is this: I did.) The deal was this: an "angel" (an unnamed sponsor) would provide $25 to each new member. The new member would then "donate" this money toward a loan for a struggling business owner in some country. The business owner was then responsible for repaying this loan, with the money going back into the lender's acoount. The lender could then make anothe loan to a new business owner.
So, for no cost to me, I was able to do a good deed.
Hey, life doesn't get better than that!
Do a favor for a stranger for free?
That's easier, and faster, than giving blood. Why wouldn't someone participate?

At that time, I had also invested $25 of my own money to fund someone else's dream of a better life. On September 21, 2013, that loan was repaid in full and I again had $25 to invest. On that very same day, I selected a group in Bolivia to receive that amount from me, towards their loan.
When I did, here's the message I received from Kiva:

"Dear Faustina,
Thank you for making a Kiva Loan!
We're so excited that you've chosen to give a hand up to entrepreneurs working towards better lives.
Best wishes,
The Kiva Team
www.kiva.org
Loans that change lives"

You can change a life, too.
And you can do so the very same way I first did.
For free.
Using the money of an angel.
Just use this link.

Become 1 in the next 1,000,000.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Pioneer... I do so like that word!

https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2017/11/pioneer.html