Friday, November 7, 2014

rabbit holes


Today, I jumped into a rabbit hole, figuratively.
Here's the problem with rabbit holes: there's no way of knowing how deep they are until you're already invested in the journey.
This morning, after breakfast, I decided to finally watch a DVD.
I've had it for almost two years. It was one of the rewards received for my role as Fliss of Kickstarter.
As you may recall, late last year I began catching up with my responsibilities as that persona. I firmly believe I need to give feedback to these valiant creators, these brave souls baring their hearts to the world.
It is not a responsibility I take lightly.
So, it has taken quite a bit of time.
However, the process has been rewarding for me, too, in a way that I had not expected. I have returned to kickstarter many times, researching the projects I backed, and I have found that flame still burns brightly.
The flame of discovery of new talent.
I completely understand why Adam Levine and Blake Shelton are still serving as judges on "The Voice".
So, today, while in beautiful Daytona Beach, I listened to the steady rush and ebb of the Atlantic, admired a clear and blue sky, and wrote about four of the successful kickstarter projects I helped support. I had only intended to write of one of the projects, the one attached to the DVD, but then I found I had not yet written about two others.
I had thought for sure that I had.
I have to wonder how many others I may have not yet completed in my reviewing process, even though I have crossed them off of my "to do" list.
As luck would have it, today was a bit too cool for walking along the shore. You could say the weather encouraged me to stay inside, exploring this very deep rabbit hole, and work on finding my way clear of it.
But isn't "work" too strong a word for what I was doing?
It isn't like anyone is going to pay me for it.
No, I certainly will not be paid for these hours of research, review, and writing. My reward will come from sharing my words with those who did the work, those who have shared their brain-children, their precious idea-fruit, with me.
Feedback is very important.
It's always good to know someone else cares.
It's always good to know someone is listening.

No comments: