Tuesday, March 3, 2015

egg salad, baby!


That line refers to a bit of miscommunication between my husband and my youngest brother. Have I ever mentioned that my youngest brother is a little hard of hearing? Too many years of wearing headphones with cranked-up music.
This story takes place after my brother's return from Baton Rouge, so it must have been sometime around the summer of 2006.
So, one day, we're all chatting in the kitchen of the apartment Tony had. Jeff and I are sitting at the table and Tony is putting away the groceries he just bought.
Anywho... we were just chatting, right? No heavy conversation, no earth-changing exchange of dialogue, just words being bandied about.
Tony said something and Jeff replied something like, "exactly! That's what I'm talking about!"
To which Tony replies, "Egg salad? Why are you talking about egg salad?"
"What?"
And so was created that inside joke.

That's the thought that crossed my mind when Jimmy Fallon said he and Ryan Reynolds were going to have a game of Egg Russian Roulette.
What?
Egg what???
I heard it right the first time, apparently.
Egg Russian Roulette (but sometimes the "Russian" is omitted).
Here's how it works. The two players sit across a small table from each other. A moderator brings forth a dozen eggs, eight of which are hard-boiled, four of which are raw. Each man takes a turn, selecting an egg and then smashing it against the top of his head. The first man to have smashed two raw eggs on his head is declared the loser.
It certainly does sound like the kind of thing 13-year-old boys deem fun, doesn't it?
That makes it great fun for all others to watch!

So, I did.
Here are a few photos I took along the way.

Ryan has just smashed a raw egg, his first of that ilk.
Jimmy has already gotten raw egg on his own hair, early on in the game.

Ryan doesn't look too happy at this turn of his fortune.
To make the game more interesting, both men take an egg, to smash in tandem.
This will decide the winner and the loser... or they may both be losers, as two raw eggs remain.

Let's see what happens when they simultaneously smash their eggs on their heads...
... and Jimmy's egg was raw!
Ryan's was hard-boiled!

Ryan wins!
And he looks decidedly relieved to not have more raw egg on his hair.
Can't say I blame him!



I must say, this late night show was pretty entertaining. I just may tune in again sometime...

No comments: