Friday, March 13, 2015

not ever after


My dear first niece and I went to a movie this afternoon. I had finished grading the test from Thursday and wanted to get out of the house.
Did she still want to go see "Cinderella"?
She did!
So, we did!
It was a nice enough movie, it really was.
Lily James is lovely lass and reminds me of a young Jessica Lange (an actress I admire).
The problem is, she doesn't really have much to do in this movie except look lovely, get dreamy eyes, and speak softly.
(Cinder)Ella's mother had told her to "Have courage and always be kind." Apparently, that meant for her to speak softly and carry no stick.
Sorry, folks, that really doesn't play out for me.
Ever since "Ever After", I want the fairy-tale princess to be a strong character. I look for my female leads to have some serious backbone and to not be afraid to take a stand on the side of what is right.
Then again, perhaps this movie's target was a younger audience.
That's all the more reason for the princess to be strong, to not allow herself to be bamboozled out of her inheritance and her home by greedy interlopers.
For that, assuredly, is what would have happened, had the good prince not, literally, ridden to her rescue.
If the movie had been animated, would I be so hard on it?
Well, no.
If it were animated, it would clearly be fantasy.
But, it is live action, even if it is filmed like a fantasy.
That makes a difference.
I'd rather that my young great-nieces not watch it.
Still, I know their mothers will take them to see this fairy-tale with its real actors.
I'll try to make sure the girls know it's fantasy.

No comments: