Wednesday, July 15, 2015

never forget that i remember you


As the night draws into the wee hours,
and my eyes seek the colors of dreams,
I have sought to share with others,
via snail mail, my random thoughts of them.

Here is the letter I wrote to my ex, but it could certainly have been copied to my BFF, the bfe, the Eagle Scout, and others who will be in receipt of cards and letters, with enclosures, from me this week.

Dear Jeff,
Well, here I am, trying to clear off my dining room table again. That means I've unearthed articles, or comics, or more, that I once meant to send to you, to the BFF, to my great-niece Ally. Incredible how old some of it is! perhaps I would be better off if I allowed the newspaper subscription to lapse? Perhaps... but I would miss these stray thoughts of those dear to me as I read the articles or solve the Jumbles or laugh over the comic strips.
Perhaps I just need to be better organized! Lord knows I've always been handicapped in that area. However, every few months I'll go through closets, dive into drawers, and dig around on the dining room table.
I hope you'll enjoy these that were earmarked for you!
Best wishes in the job market!
with my love


Which items were sent to him?
Well, there's this article on Bob Dylan's visit to Savannah. Primarily, I chose it because it was written by his friend Jim Reed, erstwhile member of the Million Dollar Man Band.
Then there's the underwater concert in the Florida Keys, courtesy of a local radio station there. Pretty cool stuff!
I also included the "Rhymes With Orange" comic that featured didgeridoos and the "Close To Home" that had a gallbladder fairy making a night-time visit to a slumbering man.

For my great-niece Ally, I had articles about sea turtles and Tybee Island, two things that are dear to both me and her. I still have a bag, packed with gifts for her 7th birthday, in my living room. That birthday was a month ago, but she is no longer in town, so I will have to make a delivery trip soon.

For my BFF, I had enclosed an "Ann Landers" advice column. Someone had written concerning dental care for nursing home patients. That might be quite interesting for her!

The Eagle Scout, over in Alabama, was sent some baseball-related articles. Sure, he may have already read about toasters that can imprint your team's logo on the bread. Maybe he's even been to a Biscuits game and seen them rise to the occasion. (Get it? LOL!) But did he know that when I read these articles I thought of him?
Not likely.
But now he does.
And that is the beauty of using the USPS.
You can send a visual hug that can be held in one's hands and enjoyed repeatedly.
(smile)

No comments: