Tuesday, February 16, 2016

bananas, bananas, bananas!


Hooray!!!
Baseball is back in my heart!
You know that name I wrote about, that pro-alcoholism one that I was taking a stand against?
Well, I'd like to think enough folks sided with my argument to persuade the folks in charge to throw that name into the "round file".
However it came to pass, Savannah Baseball announced today that "Party Animals" has been dropped from consideration for our new boys of summer.
Hooray!!!
That means I can go to baseball games this summer!
(smile!)

On the 25th of this month, they'll reveal the team name and team colors and all the team promotions and all that good stuff!
I'm quite excited about that!
They're having a huge media event that evening and I will be there! I'll make sure Mr. Willie knows, too!

So, what name do I prefer?

Savannah Anchors?
Well, that would tie in with Savannah's long history as a seaport.
I also like that we might hear "Anchors Aweigh" more often, as I am a Navy veteran.
(smile)
However, I'd hate to think that name might end up dragging us down, as the mighty Casey has suggested.
(smile)

Savannah Ports?
Hmmm... a bit clumsy, isn't it?
Yes, it's a more direct reference to this town's heritage.
And it's unlikely that sports news writers will be able to use it disparagingly in a headline when the team is losing.
But can you imagine yelling, "Go, Ports!"
Try it.
Seriously.
The name has no flow.

Okay, that's two more down.
What about Savannah Seagulls?
Okay, "Go Gulls!" has some cachet, I'll grant you that.
And I like the beach scavengers just fine.
Truly, I do.
And, whether deliberate or not, there is a link to the team name of the past two decades, as both names reference flying pests.
So, that could be nice!

But "Savannah Bananas" has captured my heart and my imagination!
"Go Bananas!" could lead to some fun antics on the field, for sure!
It's also fun to say!
That's a definite plus!
But here's what I really like: the uniforms could be YELLOW.
YELLOW!!!
I don't know of any teams that have such a distinctive color for their uniforms!
And the mascot could be The Big Banana!!!
How cool is that?!?!
Oh, I just thought of a cool concession item: bananas!!!
Even frozen bananas on a stick!

So, in honor of that name, let's all go bananas!
Just look for me in my yellow shirt, y'all!
(smile!)

No comments: