Saturday, February 20, 2016

one day at a time, dood!



2-20-2016

Dear Tony,

That date looks pretty cool, doesn't it?
I've written it about eight times today, between doing Smitty's sales taxes and reporting "early alerts" on several of my students.
Well, for the ones at Savannah Tech. Next week will be the turn of my Armstrong students, after they have their second test on Monday.

What's an "early alert"? It lets the folks in charge of academic counseling know when students are not doing well with their grades. I take my responsibility for the reports very seriously.
Most of the time, the student will start doing better, once they know they've been reported and they know someone is paying attention to them.
Sometimes, though, a student gets their feelings hurt, like they've been ratted out. That's totally crazy, but that's how they perceive it. In that case, they usually will drop out of the class and then take it with another teacher.

On another subject: Such great news you had in your last letter! Wow! I truly pray that you will be considered a candidate for the long-term maintenance program!
You have become a better man and I hope everyone there recognizes that fact. I know you have put a lot of effort into improving your mind and your faith in God. I am very proud of how far you have come on that difficult road.

May God continue to guide you and shine a light on your path!

with my love!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Wow!

How very nice to know my efforts are appreciated by the college!

You know I had reported that some of my students had failing grades?
Well, two of the students have approached me after class to THANK ME for getting help for them!
And today, in my email, I received a followup and this message:

"Thank you for your contributions to the college’s student retention and completion initiatives."

Sah-weet!