Thursday, February 25, 2016

let's go, bananas!


Yes, that punctuation was made deliberately.
The comma between the "go" and the "bananas" was meant to be there.
Why?

Because it's official!
The name of the new Savannah baseball team was announced at Historic Grayson Stadium around 6 PM tonight and I was there for it!


Bananas, bananas, bananas!!!
How about that?
I am thrilled, of course!!!
Some of the other Sand Gnats fans?
Um... not so much. But they are season ticket holders with the new ball club, so I am sure they will come to love it.

Those "Sweet Caroline" girls are bound to come around once the bats start swingin' and the balls start flyin'!

My friend Bill the painter? I think he's a bit nonplussed by the name, but he's moving back to California anyway.
Mindy the musician didn't care for the new team name, either, but after a conversation with me, I think she'll become one of the loudest clappers... well, maybe after a game or two.
But I'm thrilled!
I loaded up with the snazzy magnets before I left, too!
Anyone who wants one can get it from me!


I hadn't even made it home before the text messages came from Alabama.

the Eagle scout: Go Bananas
me: :-) I know! I really love it!
the Eagle scout: I just heard
me: I even have a T-shirt!
the Eagle scout: Move over Montgomery Biscuits
me: -sent him a photo of me with the T-shirt -
the Eagle scout: U Banana
me: It was fun at the stadium tonight.
the Eagle scout: They're there already?
the Eagle scout: Who came up with the name?
me: One of the fans. The ball club had a contest a few months ago to solicit names, then narrowed it down to 5 names. Bananas was one of those 5.

Then came the text messages from Michigan!

the ex: I understand it's the Bananas.
me: Yes it is! I am thrilled!!
the ex: I hope it's a team that the town gets behind.
me: Some folks were upset, but the other names were too stolid and bananas is FUN!
me: The first Saturday game is already sold out.
me: They are very much promoting the FAMILY atmosphere, instead of catering to drunks.
the ex: I hope it lasts.
me: Hey, they only have 24 home games. They have a 2 year contract at the stadium. I think it's going to work.
me: They will have students from Sav State and GA Southern on the team, too.
the ex: Alumni will support.
me: You bet. With their business dollars, too. Memorial has already bought up a game night for its employees.
the ex: Oh good!

Good news travels fast!

Go, go, go, BANANAS!!!!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Woohoo!
I'm sure Richard Wallace is doing a little dance right now!
He's been growing special bananas at Armstrong State University for the past several years.
Maybe he can give a little talk with fun banana facts at one of the games!!! That would be aWEsOme!!!