Sunday, February 28, 2016

three couples and a bunch of girls


I could have easily
named this post
"three plays and
a movie"
or possibly
"two plays, a musical,
and a movie".
Another choice could
have been
"four weddings and
a funeral"
or maybe even
"almost five weddings
and definitely
three funerals".
So very many options!
The montage I fashioned
by chance
settled the matter
as soon as I saw it.
Most definitely!

I'll begin with the "bunch of girls", down at the bottom.
These five sisters were in "Mustang", a Turkish film brought here by Cinema Savannah. (Thanks, Tomasz!) This is where three weddings of the four weddings occurred, as well as one of the funerals. Why? All because the girls were having unsupervised fun on the beach with some male classmates. Be grateful for American life, y'all!
Continuing clockwise in my photo spread, the next is a musical! And it's populated by high school thespians! "Bye Bye Birdie" is also loosely based on Elvis' story, too... so you know I had to see it! This is my year of Elvis, after all!
The play was great fun and was a glimpse into marketing. The fan club had been contacted to select a member to receive the "last kiss as a civilian" before Birdie became active duty military. Special kudos to the talented performers of Rose "Rosie" Alvarez (the secretary at the music studio) and Harry MacAfee (the father of the fan club's girl to be kissed) - fabulous work! I wish I'd gotten there earlier so I could have received a program and known the students' names. Those two should definitely be headed to Broadway!
Next up are star-crossed lovebirds whose tale we all know. Yep, I'm talking about Romeo and Juliet, featuring a wedding and two funerals. This time around, it's Savannah Stage Company's sparse set, allowing Shakespeare's words to shine and the emotions to perfume the air.
And... there was even a real-life marriage proposal after this final show! Dylan, who played Juliet's nurse (among other roles tonight!), was called to the stage by her boyfriend... then he told of how they met and got on one knee right in front of me!
Wow...
Perfect happy ending after the Bard's tale of love!
The final couple in my entertainment clock are Linda and Willy Loman. All she ever wanted in life was a family and a house that was paid in full ("free and clear"). To that end, she had forced Willy to remain in a job he detested, leading eventually to the "Death of a Salesman". Sad how couples can fall into such a pattern that they don't see each other as individuals with dreams but as adversaries to overcome.
Thanks to Joe's Catering for a wonderful opening night party, full of meatballs and apple tarts and barbeque-coleslaw sandwiches. Very nice! And thanks to Barbara and Kay for coming with me to Collective Face's enactment of the drama tonight.
Such a busy weekend I've had!
Now, to settle back and watch the Oscars...

No comments: