Thursday, May 9, 2013

a different kind of mae day

Before I forget about it, let me tell you a little bedtime story.
Last Saturday evening, I happened to be home and turned on the television. Let me just say that's not a common occurence on a Saturday night for me.
So, I'm channel-surfing, trying to find something to entertain me and I stumbled upon this show about the legendary Mae West. Only this show is on a station I rarely include in my searches: it's a PBS (Public Broadcast Station) special.
But, hey! It's about Mae West! This could be good... and so my finger ceases its pushing of the remote control buttons.
And you know what? It was good.
I watched the whole thing.
She was featured in various clips, but the focus was on the remembrances of men who had known her and loved her and worked with her. The documentary was titled simply: "Mae West...And the Men Who Knew Her". You could tell from the men's voices that they had loved this independent woman of the 1930's and '40's, when women were not usually bold and brassy and burlesque.
So, the next morning, I mention it in my texting with the bfe.
"Mae West?", he texted. "That's funny. The Eagle scout and I were talking about her at the bar that night while waiting for the NK! dinner."
That is funny.
Nice coincidence!

No comments: