Monday, May 20, 2013

lunchtime adventures!

I decided to NOT have lunch at one of the fastfood joints near the exit, so I had wandered toward Kingsland's downtown in search of something different, something new to me.
Found it!
The Lunchbox is a brand-spankin'-new eatery! I think it had only been open for two weeks when I stumbled upon it. A small place, it serves Southern cuisine for breakfast and lunch. They hope to open for dinner, but hey, first some revenue needs to come in, a'ite?
I had tasty corn nuggets, sweet enough they could have doubled as dessert, easily. Pop a dollop of ice cream on them and that would be a scrumptious end of any meal!
The fried shrimp lunch special was my choice, with green beans and mac-n-cheese as my sides. Yeah, I know, but I had my lactase with me on this visit, so I was good. I'm very glad to have had that enzyme handy, too. It would have been a shame to miss out on that creamy, cheesy, pasta!
I had arrived at the tail end of their lunch period, but you would have never guessed it from the way they treated me. I was allowed to have a leisurely meal, chatting with the waitress about Virginia and Williamsburg and Yorktown, her one-time stomping grounds. We also chatted about Savannah and Saint Augustine, two of her favorite places to visit these days.
Closing time was listed as 2 PM. I left almost an hour after that and they had allowed other diners to come in while I was still eating. I guess that was just a "suggested" closing time.
I think I'll wander back in this direction again sometime. The laid-back, casual atmosphere is a welcome break from dusty, hot roads!

No comments: