Saturday, May 18, 2013

moonfish


Yesterday I celebrated the nearing of completion of the 55th year of my life by selecting this new dining experience, making it also part of my new year's resolution. What better restaurant than one which specializes in seafood? And such a beautiful name, too!
Moonfish is located in the southwest portion of Orlando, the Buena Vista area, so it was quite near my vacation site. With my $50 gift card firmly in hand, I went in search of fabulous dining and FOUND IT! The dining room was already full, but there were several cozy tables in the lounge and I selected a two-seater near a window. Nice! It was also at the far wall of that area, allowing me to leisurely scan the walls and enjoy the artwork scattered there.
The waitress must have sensed that this was a special evening for me and she was spectacular! Attentive, but not smothering, generous and helpful without any smidgen of patronizing - she was perfect for my extended-birthday celebration! Oh, did I like the cheese-garlic butter bread? How about another loaf? Isn't that szechuan vinaigrette the best dressing? Spicy, but not overly so on that bed of beautiful greens with beets and meaty tomato. Yes, quite a good, unique dressing!
But what really seemed to get her attention was my order of the Chef's Mixed Grill. That marked me as a serious diner, unafraid of higher prices and willing to place my trust fully in the chef's hands. The dish was described as "Chef’s selection of two fish oak grilled and served with Thai Style Stuffed Shrimp & Scallops" and was priced in the mid thirties. I hoped one of the two fish choices would be the corvina listed on the night's menu, but I have a one-eyed chef friend who I trust with food choices and decided to extend that trust on this occasion.
Ah, well met, my dear, well met! Expectations boldly exceeded! Not only had the chef selected the corvina, without me even prompting the waitress for him to do so, but there was also an enticing bit of salmon gracing the plate! Such a lovely aroma, too!

The broiled shrimp and scallops were smothered with breadcrumbs and lump crab meat - ooooooohhhh! My, my, my! Chunky hunks of broiled zucchini, yellow squash, and carrot added a splash of muted color and sweet flavor to the far side of the plate. All in all, it was almost too pretty to eat! A bowl of steamed white rice was the final addition to the dish, a palate cleanser, so to speak. Divine food, fit for the angels!
I ended up making three meals of that night's repast. This morning, I dined on the rest of the bread and the filet of corvina for my breakfast, and lovely it was! Then, this evening, I finished off the rice, covered with the remaining scallops and crabmeat, and accompanied by the rest of the broiled vegetables. Now, I am sated once more and grateful for the chef's choices for me.
Thank you very much!

No comments: