Wednesday, September 18, 2013

chasing daylight



The peace Guy caught a ride into town last Friday. One of our mutual friends had gone up to his city to share a concert. She had stayed overnight with him, then visited another friend. When she returned here, she fetched him along. That gave us both a little time to visit, to catch up in person with the events of the past weeks.
On Sunday, I had returned him to his jet city. I cut short my final afternoon with ocean films to fetch him from yet another round of repairs at his rental apartment. Yet, even with a schedule in place, we ended up on the road a little later than planned.
My intention had been to return him in daylight, with no night driving.
That didn't happen.
Even with the days still having much length, the distance to traverse was easily a full three hours, plus a little extra.
Even driving at my speeds instead of his, the distance was not getting covered quickly enough to keep up with the waning of the sun.
Chasing daylight.
It's a favorite phrase of mine when I'm on the road, traveling as far as I can before night falls, hurtling toward an unseen goal hinted at on a map and road signs.
It's also a good euphemism for life, though, is it not?


No comments: