Tuesday, September 10, 2013

light for the way

I was going through some of the papers in the bag from the funeral home. I no longer wanted that bag, with its remembrance of Mama's death, and wanted it out of my life. The bag had been passed along to me after my stepdad's death.
Death, death, death.
So, I'm reading the book the funeral home had given to our family. The book contains the signatures of folks present at the visitation, signatures of folks present at the funeral, names of those who had sent flowers.
Sigh.
Tucked in with all of that sadness was this poem. I copied it when I wrote to my youngest brother in north Georgia and thought I was done with it.
Then I thought I might want to keep it handy.
So, here it is.

*** *** *** *** ***
What God Hath Promised

God hath not promised
Skies always blue,
Flower-Strewn pathways
All our lives through;
God hath not promised
Sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow
Peace without pain.

But God hath promised
Strength for the day,
Rest for the labor,
Light for the way,
Grace for the trials,
Help from above,
Unfailing sympathy,
Undying love.


by Annie Johnson Flint


No comments: