Tuesday, September 24, 2013

gifts from the past

As I said yesterday, I've been going through some old stacks of stuff around the house, trying to whittle them down, file them away, move them out.
Along the way, I found some gift cards I had "safely put away" and promptly forgotten about, years ago.
Years ago.
That bears repeating.
You see, these cards go back to 2005.
Most of these gift cards were promotional items given to my ex, from one radio station or another.
I had fully expected to find that the cards were too old to be redeemed.
Nope!
Earlier this month I took the $5.84 balance out to the Cracker Barrel and had a very nice grilled rainbow trout dinner, as well as enough left for breakfast the next day. That card balance paid for at least half of my dinner - no, wait, I can look it as buying my dinner and that I only paid for my breakfast.
What a bargain!
This morning, I finished off the treats puchased with the Starbucks gift card. I had been downtown on Friday for a NK! dinner in a newly opened patio on Bay Street. Afterward, I bounced over to redeem my card, thinking a bit of dessert and mayber some breakfast goods.
Score! The Marshmallow Dream Bar was consumed, at a leisurely pace, at the coffee shop. What a nicely turned rice krispies treat!
I also purchased two slabs of pumpkin bread, each in their own paper bag to retain freshness. Did I mention that these were slabs of pumpkin bread? Yes, yes, I did. I had one for breakfast two days ago, along with some Canadian bacon. This morning, I repeated that tasty breakfast. Yum!
Maybe I have more gift cards languishing unused. I'll go look!

No comments: