Friday, September 27, 2013

when i get that feeling, i need ...

Okay, so the title is a little misleading, if you're thinking of the Marvin Gaye song. That would certainly be understandable, as that is exactly what popped into my mind when I was trying to think of a title.
But, no.
Actually, I was in dire need of some TLC this weekend and had journeyed to my bff's house to receive some. I had arrived in early afternoon yesterday, ostensibly to share the experience of watching the season premier of one of my favorite television shows.
Instead, her daughter and I busied ourselves at a mall watching a "new mythology" movie and having dinner while her mom was with her bellydancing buddies.
Ah, well, this trip was short notice on my part, not taking into account their usual weekday plans. And I do totally love spending time with my bff's darling daughter! She very nicely filled me in on the background of the characters in the movie, as it had been a while since I saw the first film. (And, no, I have not read the books.)
She also didn't kvetch about missing the previews. Nor did shw complain about where to have our meal. That was good. That was very good. Very relaxing for both of us!
In case you're wondering while I'm meandering around here, yes, we did watch the premier of my tv show. You see, they can record shows through their cable subscription, whereas I cannot. So, when we were all home again, we settled in and watched to two new episodes - yeah! Then, the daughter and I watched almost all of the episodes from last season, as I had missed them. Yeah!!! TLC to the max degree!
Then, today, we set about accomplishing my bff's game plan. First, we bounced on over to the DeKalb Farmers Market in Decatur, otherwise known as the heart of Atlanta. Wow. That place is HUGE and is filled with produce and meats and products from all over the world. Not only that, though; the prices are low, too, better than those I've seen at club markets. I had not been too keen on the idea of going there, but I'm glad we did. I have two types of couscous now, bought at a third of the usual price I've seen, and lovely pomegranates, too.
We even had lunch there - what a deal! The place had a large assortment in both hot foods and salads. The price is by the pound and you take whatever you want, as much of it as you want. I had baked snapper, broccoli, rice pilaf, Indian chicken, sauteed kale, Italian veggies, and an almond-tofu patty. With a bottle of water, the grand total coast was: $5.81. Amazing!
Next, we headed to the northeastern section of Atlanta. The destination was the lovely place shown above. No, it isn't a miniature of the Taj Mahal, but it is a work of love, built using 1,300,000 volunteer hours. The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir was completed in 2007 (!) in Lilburn. Much, if not all, of the intricate stone carvings were performed in India, then shipped here for inclusion in the ceilings, walls, columns. There are over 34,000 carvings.
A mandir is "a haven for spirituality and a place of paramount peace."
I fully agree.
I could have stayed there for hours, walking barefoot on those marble floors, admiring the statues and sculptures and silence. Soaking it into my pores and my essence. Although we were only there a brief time, I felt as relaxed as if I had been on a beach.
We all know how much I adore that.
I may even have taken a short nap as my bff drove us home again.

No comments: