Sunday, March 23, 2014

a tale of dance and romance


Oh, how I enjoyed this play!
This afternoon was my first time in attendance, but I know I will be back for a second show.
I definitely will!
Bryan Pridgen, of Savannah Stage Co., had invited me for this opening weekend. I had not been able to make the show on Friday, but I did make it to the after-party, meeting his mom, as well as the choreographer and some other folks. I was even video-interviewed about my continuing, post-kickstarter support of the theatrical troupe.
(smile!)
"Syncopation" takes place about a hundred years ago, in New York City. There are only two characters: a man who dreams of having a dance partner and a woman who wants to learn to dance.
That's it, that's all. It's perfect in its simplicity.
As is common for this theatrical troupe, the stage is almost bare. Two chairs, a sweater that comes and goes. No more.
This is as character-driven a performance as you will ever see.
And the music... and the words... and the romance that takes hold as they find each others rhythms and follow each others steps...
Yeah, I'll be back...


No comments: