Friday, May 31, 2013

just me and my boys


Ya gotta sing it, a'ite? Otherwise, you're not going to get the reference.
This has definitely been a day of birthday for me!
I had been looking forward to the ghost stories with Bonnie Blue Tours for a couple of weeks. Bonnie had graciously invited the NK! group for a free tour, in exchange for promised reviews on various sites (though any tips would be most graciously accepted). Then, she had decided to open the invitation to a group of folks on facebook, too. Sah-weet!
This evening, I headed downtown early, with an agenda for activities on the westside, south of Oglethorpe. I snagged a parking spot in one of my favorite places, then decided to see who else might be down for a meal before the walking tour. The NK! webmistress and the baseball girl were!!! We all met at a Japanese restaurant for a very leisurely meal in their front window, sharing the champagne, tempura, and sushi with passersby. Well, maybe not exactly - but they were free to watch us having a good time! I could have had bubbly, but opted not to, as the evening was warm and ethanol can sometimes make me hotter than I want to be.
We met the rest of the group in Johnson Square, with time to spare. Our guide had been stricken with laryngitis, but had gamely brought her fellow along to serve as a megaphone, if needed. As it turned out, she did VERY well with her storytelling, not requiring his aid after all. Bravo!!!
There were fifteen or so folks there for the ghost walk, a goodly number - not so many that anyone felt on the fringe instead of in the midst. Bonnie told us the enchanting story of the Pulaski Hotel and little Gracie Watson, regaled us with the antics of the frisky James Habersham, Jr. at the Olde Pink House, shared the sad tale of the child-like giant, Rene, and his playground. There was also talk of a kitty cat ghost and the voices of laughing, happy children! She finished in Wright Square, having led us on a rectangular path through five of the squares, with the tale of the hanged woman. Most excellent! Even though I was familiar with three of the tales already, she made them feel fresh and had a different spin and a positive air. Hardly surprising, as I know her to have a lively sense of humor as well as membership in MENSA, Philo Cafe, and Drinking Liberally!
I finished my evening dancing! Barefoot Booyah had a gig at fairly new place on Broughton. Again, as I know I've mentioned before, I'm a bit partial to these two fellows, as one is a nephew-in-law, but I am deservedly proud of them and their music! They mix some of their originals in with classics by Dylan, the Stones, and Van Morrison. You should give them a listen some time! Maybe I'll even see you there the next time I'm out dancing to their tunes!

No comments: