Monday, March 3, 2014

oscar, party of one


I count myself fortunate.
Tonight,
I picked nearly all winners.
Not just with the film awards -
having seen
most of the contenders
this past year,
I did well at predicting
who would take home
the 9-inch golden men -
but also with those I invited
to my little Oscar-viewing party
here at my house.
Actually, I was the only one
physically here,
but I had fairly constant
"conversations" by text
with the first niece
and the peace Guy.
Very nice!
The huggable hugger Hai
did not respond
until hours later.
All in all, though,
a fine evening.
Especially if you consider that I had a pretty ugly pity party gaining strength in the late afternoon.
Ugh.

But wait! I thought you had these fancy Oscar parties you attended every year with the outlaw Bunny?

Well, I have in the past, though not every year. Not this year. I don't even know if this is one of the years that the hostess did not have the party. I simply heard nothing of it. I very nearly asked about it, too, but I didn't feel like inviting myself over like that. You know?

Okay, I can get that. But didn't you hear Hai talk about the Oscar party he was attending?

Why, yes, yes, I did, as you well know. Again, I was not invited. I'm sure if Hai had wanted me to come with him, he would have asked.

Oh-key do-key. I'm going to leave that absolutely alone. How about that meetup party? You may have known some folks there...

Yeah, I may have. I may not have. I didn't want that to be the first meetup I actually attended with that group. Honestly, I may as well remove myself from that one. I just haven't yet.
And I was not wanting to make nice with a bunch of folks I didn't know.
Speaking of, that's why I was having the pity party this afternoon.
My first niece and her husband were in a theatrical production at their church and she had made a 6:00 PM reservation for me... but only me. I had thought her mom and little sis would be joining me.
No.
They went to the show on Friday.
But no one had told me I would be going through it with 25 strangers.
Ugh.

me 2 her (about 6:05pm): Honey, there are big crowds here and i am not in the mood to have to wait.
1st niece: You shouldn't have to since you have a reservation.

Meanwhile, I had started a conversation with the peace Guy.
me 2 peace Guy: I am so aggravated. I seem to have lost a hundred dollar gift card. I wanted to use it tonight since i have no Oscar party to go to.
me 2 pG: Instead, i am going to watch Christina and Jason in Judgement House at their church.
me 2 pG: With a bunch of folks i don't know.
me 2 pG: I am SO aggravated. Christina's mom and little sister were supposed to be with me, but they went on Friday. She didn't tell me until 25 minutes ago.


1st niece: I understand if you can't stay.
me 2 her: I am staying. I am just peeved. Lost my 100 dollar gift card and am very distracted.
1st niece: Oh no. Like I said if you need to go... it is ok.
me 2 her: Break a leg. :)
her: Hopefully not.
me 2 her: Not literally, of course. :-)
her: Lol
me 2 pG: Okay. I have vented and feel better.
me 2 her: No. I want to see you and Jason. I think it is all the noise here in the waiting area.
her: It is loud in here too.
me 2 pG: I am even talking to the woman next to me.

Then the group of 26 that I was part of were called up to begin experiencing the play.

her (7:01 pm): have you started yet?
me 2 her: Just finished! Very good! I feel much more at peace now. :-)

pG (7:01 pm): The whole concept of a "judgement house' kind of freaks me out. I'm sure the gift card will show up. Until you mentioned it I had forgotten it was oscars night.
pG: I haven't been to a movie in ages and I think the only oscar nominated movie I have seen is '12 years a slave'.
me 2 pG: it is a segmented play that follows four teens. Good theatre. And no one can get bored because the group is always moving on to the next scene.
me 2 pG: I feel much calmer now. :-)


And I most certainly did.
And I had a brainstorm: why not have an Oscar party at my house?
And who cares if I was to be the only person there? Through the wonders of modern technology, I could easily share that experience with folks I would have invited, had I not known already that they would not be available.
So, here we go now...

me 2 pG: Wow. Jared Leto won for supporting actor!
pG (8:54 pm): I'm sorry I'm not watching. And like I said I haven't seen many of the nominated films. What was the name of the movie?
me: Dallas Buyers Club. He played a drag queen with AIDS. He was incredible. In real life, he is part of Thirty Seconds To Mars.
pG (9:02 pm): Oh, that is one of the movies I've been dying to see. I know it's still playing here I hope I still get a chance to see it on the big screen.
me: Be prepared to sob. I thought I was, but i was not.
me: Hit me very hard.
me: Kristin and Barbara wanted to go get food. I just went home.

me 2 her: Helium won for best short film!! That was the one about the hospital and the red dog balloons. Yeah!!
her (9:45 pm): yay! I really liked that one!
me: Me too.

me 2 pG: The woman in 12 Years A Slave won for best supporting actress!

me 2 her: Whoopi wore ruby slippers for the Oscars!
her (10:35 pm): I just got home. I have to get a shower and take the "hell" off.
me: :-)
me: Pink is singing.
me: Somewhere Over The Rainbow.
me: In a ruby dress.

her: I see

pG (10:41 pm): That is not a surprise to me she is amazing on so many levels and she was particularly good in that movie.
me: I still have not seen it. One of these days, when i have someone to hold me afterward. I simply cannot watch sad movies these days.
me: The screenplay writer, John Riddler, won for 12 Years, too.
me: And it wonn for Best Film!!

pG (12:07 am): Yes, I relate to the not wanting to see sad or difficult movies right now. I think that is part of the reason I haven't seen Dallas Buyer's Club.

Pretty good party!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Universe theuniverse@tut.com via tut.ccsend.com

Mar 5

to me

Faustina, sometimes, when it seems your wings have suddenly and unexpectedly been clipped, maybe, just maybe, there's more to learn by staying where you are.

Maybe not.

Tallyho,
The Universe