Saturday, September 3, 2016

i saw you dancing!


That's what the woman said, smiling, as we exited the Tybee Post Theater!
She and her husband had been talking with me before the show, so we had some familiarity established. Then, we were all part of the sold-out show, grooving to the music the man was laying down - oh,yeah!
"Elvis: Down At The End Of Lonely Street" may have not been geographically correct, but it certainly had the timing down pat!
(Speaking of Pat, I wore her golden-dolphins Kauian dress for today's outing. Perfect for swaying to the beat!)
The ETA of the evening was Russ Lanier, CPA by day, jumpsuited crooner by night. As I told Vaneeta at the family gathering, he's a man who could do your taxes for you, then sing away your stress afterward! She got a kick out of that!
He was supported by a seven-piece band and two back-up singers, collectively known as the Dream Team Band. Except for the two brass players, the others in the band are old-timers with decades of experience. I truly had to wonder if any of them might have played with The King... perhaps they did!
I really liked that Russ did a couple of songs I hadn't heard down in Brunswick. "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" was an oldie blues number Elvis sang in 1956. Loved it!
Russ also sang "If I Can Dream", prefacing it with a hope for a better world that is welcoming of diversity. Very nice, especially as the song is based on a speech from Martin Luther King, Jr. and is a song Elvis promoted in 1968, just two months after King was assassinated. (I just looked up all of that. Hooray for the internet!)
The third unique song that Russ and his band performed was "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot". Loved it! Danced to it, even though I was the only one who did!
Hey, that's part of the reason why I chose seat I-18. As it was located at the end of the row, next to the right wall, I could step up and into the aisle any time I wanted to dance without concern of blocking anyone's line of sight of the stage.
The other reason I chose that seat?
Because "I" feel "18" when I hear this music!
(smile!)
Now, time for that peanut butter and (Canadian) bacon sandwich with a tall glass of cold milk. That's a snack that I know would be Elvis-approved!
Yum!

No comments: