Thursday, September 29, 2016

dancing with the Beatles at Shea!


Of course, I wasn't able to be there when the concert actually occurred.
I was only seven years old and living in Savannah.
Whoopi Goldberg was able to be there, as her beloved mother managed to get two tickets for them to go.
Then again, the soon-to-be ten-year-old's family lived in New York City.
Shea Stadium, the erstwhile home of the New York Mets, was just a subway ride away.
The Beatles weren't hardly on my radar back in 1965.
The Beatles, as a group, have not existed since 1970. John Lennon was killed in 2008 and gentle George Harrison succumbed to lung cancer in 2001. No reunion tours will ever be possible for them.
Shea Stadium hasn't existed since it was torn down in 2009.
Things change, as we all know.

And this afternoon, things changed for me.
After my first-ever Office Hours at Savannah Tech, held in the chemistry lab as my shared cubicle does not lend itself to such things, I was in need of diversion.
Spotlight Cinema came to my rescue!
Ron Howard's documentary, "The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years", was due to begin in just fifteen minutes!
So, off I went!
(smile!)
The film covered four years of hard touring, from 1963 to 1966, with concerts back to back and no time to play tourist. It was a good thing they were so young or they would have been exhausted all the time! The four young men, all "brothers from other mothers", were in their early twenties for those hectic years when it seemed that every moment of every day was scheduled. Interviews, concerts, television shows, photo shoots - all blurring together. And then they started making movies, too!
What a beautifully made remembrance!
I thank you, Mr. Howard.
But, wait, there's more!
After the final credits, the entire thirty-minute concert by The Beatles, was shown!!! This was from that August 15, 1965, event at Shea Stadium!!!
Oh, my GOD!!!
I sat in my seat for the first song, "Twist and Shout". Sure, I was bouncing around, but I stayed seated.
Then I had a realization.
This would be the only time I could dance at their concert.
So, with the opening bars of "She's A Woman", I was on my feet and in the aisle, making sure I didn't block the view of the other four audience members. And I danced!!!
And I kept right on dancing, too! "I Feel Fine", sure enough, with "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" and my "Ticket To Ride"! "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby", but I know money "Can't Buy Me Love"! "Baby's In Black", but all I have to do is "Act Naturally" after "A Hard Day's Night"!
Whew!
By "Help!", I was needing a little. It's been a while since I danced that many songs without a break!
That turned out to be the penultimate song in their set, though, so I was able to keep on dancing while Paul sang "I'm Down".
Wow!
Right place, right time, I was.
i thank You, God!
Now, off I go for a previously scheduled art event at the Jepson.
Ciao, bella!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Spotlight Cinema, which was once known as the Regal Eisenhower more than a decade ago, has been torn down.
That's right: torn down.
Even the used children's clothing store beside it is gone, razed to the ground and late last year.

Things change.