Sunday, September 11, 2016

one eurydice, please, with a side of elvis!


This afternoon was a first for me.
I don't know how I have overlooked the Richmond Hill Community Theatre, but I certainly have.
For five years, too, as they have existed since 2011.
Well, they are on my radar now.
I ventured out to the J.F. Gregory Park's Wetland Center this afternoon for a one-act Greek tragedy.
I had read the article in the newspaper about this retelling of the story of Orpheus and his quest to the Underworld to retrieve his beloved, Eurydice. What had caught my attention was the twist: this time, it was from the woman's point of view.
Most excellent!
I had spoken of the play to my first niece and to my dos amigas, telling them "the 3:00 PM on Sunday is the only one I can attend, but I am definitely going". I hope they went to the Saturday matinee!
I very much enjoyed the entire experience!
You see, I was greeted before the action with The King's romantic songs. "The Wonder of You", "Falling In Love With You", "Stuck On You", "The Chapel", "Don't be Cruel".
I had caught the rationale by the third song! Sure enough, when the play began it was clear that the director had opted to have the demigod musician played as a young Elvis. How apropos in this year as we celebrate the beginnings of the superstar's career!
And what particular melody did Orpheus cite as having been created especially for his dear love? With what music did he propose to her?
"Love Me Tender", of course!
(smile)
As for Eurydice, she was more like Alice, lost in the worlds both above and under the ground she trod. She claimed to love Orpheus, but she was more attached to words in books than to the tunes he offered. She seemed to awaken in the underworld, where her dear father was able to restore some of her memories.
The Lord of the Underworld was played with verve and vigor and vitality...and for laughs! Whichever of the three characters inhabited by the ruler of Hades was on stage, G.T. Woods was phenomenal and stole every scene he entered. His theme music for the final scene with Eurydice? "A Little Less Conversation", of course!
(smile!)
One more note before I go.
I very much liked all of the letter-writing featured throughout the play. Letters to the girl from her father in Hades. Letters from a distraught husband to his dead wife, given "to a worm" for delivery. Letters from her back to him, via the worm delivery system (as opposed to "snail mail", perhaps?).
Letters to be held and read, again and again.
Unless you were one of Elvis' fans. Your missive was destined to be read once by the man, then destroyed by his hand.
Why?
He regarded the letters as personal and no business of anyone else.
So, if you ever wrote to him, know that your message was received and treasured for that moment in time ... and your heartfelt words remained safe from prying eyes.
That's rather sweet, wouldn't you agree?

1 comment:

faustina said...

Apparently, my heart still beats for these old Greek myths!
I recently watched the 1959 "Orfeu Negro" with a Sunday night PFS online viewing party.
(Hey, it's the COVID-19 quarantine in Georgia, so Jim Reed has gotten quite creative.
i thank You, God.)
That old movie, filmed by Italians and French, based on the Greek romantic tragedy, shot in Brazil, and screened to us Americans, was quite an international endeavor, wasn't it?
I have it bookmarked to see again, too.
(smile!)