Thursday, September 29, 2016

one last time with young Elvis


I even had a Post-It on my kitchen cabinet to remind me to visit the "Elvis At 21" exhibit this week. Its final day at the Jepson will be this Sunday, October 2nd.
As you may recall, I had looked forward to seeing these photos ever since the start of this year. I had even organized my schedule to make sure I would be present for the Opening Lecture and Sock Hop during the busy spring. But I had not actually visited the exhibit for the first time until June.
I had wanted to have plenty of time to absorb every word and every image.
After all, I had saved every photograph that graced the pages of the museum's quarterly newsmagazine. Every single one.

This was the cover,
both front and back,
of the late spring volume,
Issue 25.

Titled by Alfred Wertheimer
as "Two Guitars",
the photo included Elvis
with his guitarist.

Notice the knot tied in the rope Elvis used as his guitar strap.

I really like this part of the above photo.
It graced the front cover and was the first thing I saw.

Alfred took the photo at the CBS Studio recording session in New York City.
The date was March 17, 1956.
It was Saint Patrick's Day in the home of the largest celebration in the USA of that event.
I wonder what the newly-turned 21-year-old thought of all that?

Here, Elvis tries to entice the girl
to kiss him.
Taken in late June, 1956, he was with an unnamed lass that he had met at a lunch counter.

Oh, are you wondering if he was successful in his attempt?
(smile)
Yes, he was.

This is another of the photos from late June.
Here Elvis is, literally singing "Hound Dog" to an actual hound dog!
How did that come to pass?
Well, the song, which would soon be Number 1 on the US pop, country, and R&B charts, was being performed on a television show. Concern about Elvis' swiveling pelvis led to the dog on an elevated surface, to keep the gyrations on a leash.
Funny, and true, story!

This is one of my absolute favorites.
Alfred snapped this one on the train, as they traveled back toward Elvis' home in Memphis for the 4th of July.
The trip took a couple of days and Elvis was undoubtedly ready to be back among those who knew and loved him.
I can absolutely relate to that.
There's nothing that compares to home and family...
and being able to shuck Sunday clothes for jeans and a T-shirt.

Here he is, stretched out on the seat, trying to catch a few winks as the train meanders through the southeastern countryside on the long journey.
Do you know who took this photo of the photo in the exhibit?
I did!
I had asked if I was allowed to take pictures and, to my delight, was told I could!
Wonder of wonders!
(I used the privilege sparingly, though.)

At long last, Elvis had arrived home and had a dip in the pool.
Shirtless, he and his high school sweetie listened to his album.
He was then able to convince her to dance with him...
but no, no kiss this time!
(I wonder if she ever regretted that? Surely she did!)

Later that day (still the 4th of July), he was onstage at Russwood Park in Memphis for a benefit concert.
(Such a busy day!)
Alfred titled this one, appropriately, "Starburst".
Serendipity led to its creation, as he acknowledged.
Had not a fan's flashbulb gone off at the same moment that Alfred's shutter was open, the photo would have been much more subdued.
What a wonderful coincidence and what amazing timing!

Still, I do believe this may be my favorite of them all.
Taken during a snack break at the recording studio in NYC, back in late June of 1956, the young man is having a tasty beverage and relaxing with his session mates.
I think Alfred had titled it "Taking a Break", or some such.
My title for it?
"A Coke And A Smile."

Maybe I'll go see it one more time this weekend.

No comments: