Friday, October 14, 2016

sending love through the mail


During this past week, life has been hard.
Sure, my house was still intact.
Sure, I was unharmed physically...
but I cannot say the same for my mental and emotional states.
Four nights in a dark house, on a dark street, in a dark neighborhood...
definitely not healthy for me.
Today, I'm trying to give thanks to those who held the madness at bay.
I've been writing notes.
Why?
Well, here is how I worded it to my youngest brother:
"As much as I enjoy "talking" via email, sometimes it's nice to hold in my hands pen and paper to send words that someone I love will be able to hold in their hands.
It makes me smile just to know that you will soon read this.
"

I give special thanks to my dear friend-nephew Kevin for getting me out of my house and out of my funk on not one, not two, but on three days, and for great hugs on those days.
I give thanks to my dear friends Paul and Cathy, out on the other coast, for adding some much-needed cheer with a 90-minute phone call one dark night.
I give thanks to my ex, Jeff, for continually checking in on me, making sure I knew he still manned a lifeline for me.
I give thanks to my cousin Sharon and to Susan, there in Augusta, for offering me shelter in their home... and for checking on me when I stayed in Savannah.
I give thanks to my dear niece Christina, for checking in with me every single day, making sure I knew how much she cared.

i thank God and pray for serenity.

I thank so many others who let me know they cared, who sent me hopes for safety, who posted notes on my facebook page.
It was good to read those on Wednesday night, after my power had at last been restored.
No more dark nights.
I even leave a nightlight on when I go to bed now.
I wonder how much longer I may do that.
We shall see.
Meanwhile, I have notes of thanks to write, as well as birthday cards, as well as notes to my great-nieces and great-nephews to tell them I care.
Don't worry...I'll return soon enough to this lovely shore.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Scott Kimball 10:18am Oct 18
Thank you for the nice card and baseball clipping. (A story about a baseball field built on a military base.) I am glad u made it through the hurricane alright when I had seen your post on facebook. I don't say it enough but I miss u and value your friendship.

nephew Zach said...



Zachary Smith
October 18 at 8:55pm

Faustina Smith you are so thoughtful. Just like the sweetest woman I ever met, "Grammy". She always took the time to show she cared about everyone. We really appreciate your love and care. Team Kobe is sending the love back.