Thursday, October 6, 2016

...or should i go?


That's the question I've been asking myself for the last three days.
After seeing the latest satellite photos, I'm pretty shaken up.
Tomorrow morning will be the deadline for me to answer that question.
On Tuesday, while it was still far off in the Caribbean, I wasn't concerned. After all, it might have changed its path, right? Veered off into the Atlantic and left Georgia's coast alone?
On Wednesday morning, I canceled my reservation for the high school reunion, as that was now blown away by Matthew's threat to the beach. Even if it didn't come ashore, the surf would be very hazardous.
Then I found out that Armstrong canceled all classes after 3 PM on Wednesday.
Savannah Tech followed suit at 5 PM that day.
No more classes or school events at either until Monday.
I tried to pass it off as the schools erring on the side of caution... but the television kept posting bad news as the huge bully slowly muscled its way up toward Florida.
I almost went to a movie for some needed distraction, but watched a rerun of "The Voice" instead. That worked. No weather news interruptions either way.
Then, today, I've watched as Hurricane Matthew has ridden the warm waters of the Gulf Stream up the east coast.
It's been like a bad dream in slow motion.
I mowed the back yard to get shed of some nervous energy.
That worked pretty well.
Then I looked into going to a movie this afternoon.
Not possible.
The cinemas were closed.
I think that's when it truly registered.


There's a hurricane, 500 miles wide, spinning into my space.
When it hits Jacksonville, Florida, tomorrow morning, a town which is almost 250 miles away, Savannah will be feeling the effects of the storm's upper bands of energy.
From 250 miles away.
My cousin Sharon has invited me to stay with her family in Augusta. I just may do that, even though my hands will give me great difficulty for such a long drive.
Just in case, I'll pack tonight.
The car is already filled up with gas and oil, so she's good to go.
Just in case.
My house sits on higher ground, so that's good. But is it good enough for a 7 to 9-foot storm surge?
I don't know.
For now, I will say so long... see you soon.

13 comments:

cuzn Jeff said...



Jeff Powless
October 6 at 1:09pm

Tina the prediction is it will be a cat 4 when it comes through your area. Be safe.
Prayers for all the people and the States in the path of this awful storm. If you are going to ride it out or know someone hunkering down, more prayers for you.

Sherry said...



Sherry Moore
October 6 at 2:55pm

Be safe!

Lorrie said...



Lorretta Ruggiero
October 6 at 1:52pm

Stay safe!

bfm Lizz said...



Lizz Smith
October 6 at 1:04pm

Stay safe!
Pray for my sister-in-law Joy and her family in Florida, they are on the East Coast in Titusville along with her son's family and other son and granddaughter in Orlando.

Faye said...



Fae Hill Kameron
October 6 at 12:37pm

Praying for your safety. I left because I am in a mobile home.

Rhonda said...



Rhonda S. Curby
October 6 at 12:36pm

Stay safe Tina.

Tony said...



Tony O'Conner
October 6 at 12:21pm

stay safe. let us know you're okay after the storm.

Bryan said...



Bryan Pridgen
October 6 at 12:04pm

I'm staying put too. If you need any help, please let me know.

Brant and Balinda said...



Brant Dixon
October 6 at 12:00pm

You can name your place "Faustina Island". Be safe.

Kathy said...



Kathy Mabry
October 6 at 11:53am

Be safe 󾍛

cuzn Jeff said...



Jeff Powless
October 6 at 11:53am

Be Careful Tina and if it looks like it's gonna get real bad in your neighborhood please call for assistance and get out. Love you too much and worry about you ya know.

lunch lady Sarah said...



Sarah Logan-Reynolds
October 6 at 11:47am

Be safe! And yes carpal tunnel sucks!

Kristin said...



Kristin Stout
October 6 at 11:45am

Be safe!