Sunday, October 2, 2016

of picnics and cannons!


I had not planned to attend the annual "Picnic in the Park" at Forsyth this year. I think I passed on it last year, even though I had a good time the year before. You remember, right? That was the year I danced with the homeless guy to Darth Vader's theme!
None of my meetup groups had mentioned it, so... I was going to give it a pass.
Then I read about the cannons.
That's right: real, live cannons!!!
Well, alrighty then!
And why were the cannons to be there?
The Savannah Philharmonic was going to play "1812 Overture"... and the 3rd Infantry Divison was providing the cannon fire!!!
o...m...G!!!!
You see, there was this little bar I had liked to frequent in Okinawa. Called Pianissimo, the place had copies of Old Masters artworks, complete with museum-type accent lights, and lush furniture to settle upon. And they played classical music.
L-O-U-D.
So, I could sit there comfortably and admire the paintings while I quaffed the poison of my choice. I heard a lot of music there that I liked. But one of my favorites was "The Year 1812".
You may know it as Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture".
(smile)
I think I was drawn to the cannon fire blasting away in it! After all, name two other classical pieces - or even contemporary tunes - that feature cannons. Go ahead, think about.
I'll wait.
(smile)
That's okay, there's only two that I can recall. The first is "The Battle of New Orleans", one I grew up hearing on WSGA, 1400 AM.
That was a very fun tune!
Then there was "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)". That was the title track to the 1981 album by those hard rockers I adore, ACDC.
Magnificent!
The year coincided with my tour of duty in Okinawa, too.
Coincidences rock, right mate?
Sure enough!!!
Anywho... so there you have it.
One of my favorite bits was to be planned, with proper accompaniment, at Forsyth Park on a balmy early fall eve. I resolved to be there! Barbara even agreed to come along!
Fabulous!


We even found a good place for our chairs! Kal's meetup, the Beach Bums, were there with food and wine, which pleased Barbara.
Me? I was just glad to be able to hear the music!
What a glorious way to end the day after such a glorious beginning!
i thank You, God!

No comments: