Sunday, October 2, 2016

best.sunday.ever. (cue music)


I absolutely love the God on Broadway series at Asbury Memorial!!!
This year, "The Sound of Music", "Hello, Dolly!", "Cats", and "Peter Pan" are still waiting in the wings for their cues, but today... Oh, my, today has been my favorite ever!!!


"Phantom of The Opera"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the very first song was my very favorite of all!!!!
"Music of the Night"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Utterly incredible!
There were even three phantoms, so they could magically and mysteriously move from one side of the balcony to the stage and then to the other side of the balcony whilst singing.
Beautifully done!!!!
But that wasn't all, my dear friends!
After "The Phantom of the Opera" by the choir, and a fabulous "Angel of Music" by a returned Asberry, then we all chimed in!

One: Sing! Children of God! Let the music draw you closer to the Spirit!
Us: God lives and loves among us!
One: Dance! Children of God! Lose yourself in the choreography of the spirit. Life is a dance and God is the orchestra.
Us: God lives and moves among us!
One: Embrace! Children of God! Open your arms and feel close to each other. It is our openness where life takes on meaning.
Us: It's great to be alive! Let us give God thanks and celebrate!


Then the choir sang and danced for the "Masquerade"!!! So nice to see them dressed in their ballroom attire!
And then?
Then what happened???
The litany was with us reading parts of the beautiful, sweet, longing "All I Ask Of You"!!!
I tell you, it was all I could do to not sing the words!!!

God: No more talk of darkness,
Forget these wide-eyed fears;
I'm here, nothing can harm you,
My words will warm and calm you.
Let me be your freedom,
Let daylight dry your tears;
I'm here,
with you, beside you,
To guard you and to guide you.
Us: Say You love me every waking moment,
Turn my head with talk of summertime.
Say You need me with You now and always;
Promise me that all You say is true,
That's all i ask of You.
God: Let me be your shelter;
let me be your light;
you're safe,
No one will find you,
your fears are far behind you.
Us: All i want is freedom,
A world with no more night;
And You, always beside me,
To hold me and to hide me.
God: Then say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime;
Let me lead you from your solitude.
Say you need me with you, here beside you,
Anywhere you go, let me go too,
That's all I ask of you.
Us: Say You'll share with me one love, one lifetime;
Say the word and i will follow You.
Share each day with me,
Each night, each morning.
Say You love me...
God: you know I do.
Us: Love me, that's all i ask of You.

(Note: The use of lower-case "i" and capitalized "You" is my doing. The church bulletin did not have that in the program.)

By the third stanza, I couldn't simply speak the words anymore.
Sing! That's what the words do in my heart and that's why my mouth had to do the same!

A duet presentation of "All I Ask Of You" was provided during the offertory. Nice touch!
And the sermon today from Reverend Billy Hester?
"Taking Off Our Masks".
Very uplifting and positive message!
And then?
Then what happened???
Well, wonder of wonders, today was World Communion Sunday!
It was so nice to be part of a bigger whole!

Then, it was all over, except for the playing of the theme music one more time on the piano and organ... hallelujah!!!

I so look forward to this being posted on the website!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I was actually there until almost 3 PM!
It was BIG Coffee Hour and I had even brought a dish to share! It was black beans, corn, diced rutabagas, and Rotel with lime juice & cilantro! Very good! So good there was none left over!

Then, Reconciling Ministries met in the sanctuary to talk about the Savannah PRIDE booth, among other topics. Glad I had forgotten my sunglasses on the pew chair, or I would have missed this!