Sunday, November 20, 2016

gifts of music



...GO
No, seriously, that was the title of the first piece from the Winterfest today! The Armstrong Wind Ensemble brought us a total of four works for the free concert this afternoon. All were modern compositions from the past ten years. Wow!
The other three works were the lively "Goddess of Fire", the sweetly moving "Sentimentale", and the boldly jubilant "KHAN". That last was quite lively and certainly my favorite!

Next on my agenda of free music was the "Musique De France"!
Que magnifique!
Here is the empty orchestra...

...and here it is for my favorite piece of the evening, Poulenc's "Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra in D Minor,
FP 61".
Bugs Bunny cartoons kept flashing through my mind during it - and I was not the only one with those images!
Give a listen and you'll agree!
As for the rest of the concert, I've talked about it here.
'Nuff said!
(smile!)

This afternoon found me at the JEA for "Honoring The Legacy Of Richard Tucker". His son (David), his biographer (Jim Drake), and his fellow opera singer (Sherrill Milnes) hosted the free two-hour program of music.
I admit to going in blind. All I knew at the time was Sherrill Milnes would be there and I was likely to hear some opera.
Boy, did I! The trio had garnered fourteen audio and video samples to showcase the tenor, singing not only in multiple operas, but also performing Jewish services, being interviewed on television, and...singing "The Lord's Prayer". In fact, I realized when I heard it that this 1967 version with this Jewish singer was the one I had grown up hearing in the Southern Baptist church! Amazing!
I know my Grandma and Grandpa must have been smiling at that!
Now, I'm off to the Jonny Lang concert at the Lucas! It'll be free, too, as I'm ushering the event! Hooray! I have been looking forward to hearing this bluesman for so long!
Later, y'all!

No comments: