Tuesday, November 1, 2016

tuesday timing


What a day this has been!
I woke up at 8 AM, took my little pill for my cyst-slowed thyroid, and climbed back in bed.
There I stayed until 10:31 AM.
I had apparently turned off the alarm!
Oh, no!
Class was at 11 AM!!!!
I got dressed, grabbed a to-go snack box, and set off for the college.
Amazingly, I made it safely to campus, without any coffee to wake my mind.
Then, even more amazingly, I slid the car right into an open parking space.
When I reached the classroom, the time was 10:51 AM.
i thank You, God!
That gave me a few minutes to get a little sustenance in.
Good thing, too. That bit of energy kept me going for the talk on the kinetics of reactions, including exothermic and endothermic factors...
which was especially good as today was the day the dean chose to audit my class.
Yikes!
Still, he had to be impressed that I seemed to be running on all cylinders, without notes, even reminding the students of the topics we had already studied and their place in our current studies.
I certainly hope so.
The timing of his visit gives me pause, though.
Why?
Well, late last week, he had sent the following email to all in General Studies.

"All,
At the link below, Malcom Gladwell discusses the U-shaped curve in relation to classroom size. He discusses class size at around 16:40.
U Shaped Curve and Classroom Size
What do you think about his idea about the impact of classroom size on poor students?
"

I had viewed the link on Saturday and then responded.

"Very interesting discussion...and I concur with his results.
I am currently teaching the same course, with the same textbook and same homework assignments, to two different classes. One class began with thirty students, has much class participation during lecture, and has 27 students after midterm. The other class began with ten students, has very little participation during lecture, and will soon be down to five students.
Honestly, it has been a bit disheartening to witness this great difference.
But I shall persevere at providing a good education to those who remain, in both classes.
"

As I said, I find his timing on auditing my class to be curious.
Perhaps he wanted to see my energy level and style for himself?
I'm just grateful to have been there on time, teaching material I know well, in front of four students intent on learning.
Again, i thank You, God.

Now, it's time to head to my "Tuesday with Kevin" dinner and a movie. This time, he's selected "Inferno" for our weekly viewing.
He's also already invited me earlier today to go with him on Thursday to pick up his race packet for the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in Savannah! Of course I said I would go! (I even plan to cheer him on as he runs - twice - past my neighborhood on this Saturday.)
Thursday will make the third time this week that we've seen each other and had dinner together.
How so?
Well, on Sunday evening, I went over to help him study for his physiology test...and he bought me dinner! Ceviche at Jalapenos! Quite nice!
I suspect we will dine together on Thursday, too.
We'll see!
What delicious timing!
(smile!)
Maybe I am his favorite "fun aunt"...
I'll accept that honor!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Well, guess what?
He did buy me dinner again!
Dig that!
This time, we dined at Moe's... which shows that he "attends class and pays attention".
(Inside joke!)
Thanks, Kevin!