Wednesday, November 30, 2016

you make my dreams come true


Well, maybe the lyrics to the Hall & Oates song aren't quite the right fit, but the way the song makes me feel is very much so.
That's how I feel right now, after checking my school email.
To what am I referring?
Receipt of an email from one of my students this semester.
Correction: one of my former students.
(smile)
Let me explain.
I have an unwritten policy concerning Final Exams. I never announce the policy in class and I never include it on a syllabus.
Sometimes, I never even have a student to qualify for it.
This semester, I had four students who did.
All four had consistently scored mid-range "A" grades on the five exams as well as on the five homework assignments.
Consistently.
In other words, all four had completed all that was asked, and completed it very well.
That diligence to responsibility was worth a reward, worth something more than a grade would reflect.
My reward to those four was exemption from the Final Exam.

When I had returned Test 5 (taken two days ago) to the class, I had included the calculation of the score needed on the Final Exam to achieve a particular grade for the course.
For Kaitlyn, Sarah, Allie, and Nina, I offered congratulations!
They were stunned.
Their hard work all semester had merited an exemption from the Final Exam?
"Really, truly, are you sure?"
Yes, indeed, I am.
And, jubilant, and still a bit stunned, out they went into the night.

And out I went, also, after my last lab student had submitted their take-home Lab Final Exam. Ahead of schedule, too!
Jubilantly, I sailed forth from Ship Armstrong toward Shah Rukh Khan (and what I had thought would be a Bollywood film) in Pooler!
As it turned out, I was incorrect about "Dear Zindagi". The story of a woman (Kaira) and her consults with an unconventional psychologist (Jehangir Khan), who is helping her find her path to the just-right కుర్చీ or Kurcī. (Hint: the word is in Telugu. Look it up!)
I loved that analogy!
At one point, I had truly wished the running bear was with me. I had invited him, to make up for him missing Tuesday to study. The movie would be too late for him, he'd said.
About halfway through the film, I was glad he had abstained.
It may have run a little too close to real life for his taste.

Anyway.
Back to my story!
When I was home again, I checked my school emails, as is my practice every night.
Lo and behold!
This magical gift was waiting for me!

Dear Dr. Smith,
I had a really great time in your chemistry class this semester. Some science classes have been a frustrating challenge for me in the past, and I was nervous about all the required prerequisites when I decided to return to school for nursing. In contrast, I felt like your class was fulfilling and left me with an appreciation of chemistry in everyday applications (like in baking and medicine). It was so much fun! I have not experienced those feelings in all of the classes I have taken, and I felt so lucky to come away from yours with more than just a basic understanding of chemistry. Thank you!
I want to double check that I don't have to take the final exam to get an A; when I heard that, it sounded too good to be true! Per your suggestion, I checked the requirements for Emory's accelerated BSN program I was accepted to, and they changed it this year so CHEM1151 is sufficient (but you're right, this isn't the case for other programs). As such, I want to make sure I'm set up for the best possible outcome in this class.
I hope you have a great Holiday and New Years,
Nina


Wow, right?
Absolutely wow.
I sit here with a smile on my face and tears in my eyes.

Here's my response to her.

Dear Nina,
Thank you for the kind words! Truly, every professor dreams of making that kind of positive impact on a student's knowledge. Thank you for making my dreams come true!
You are EXEMPT from the Final Exam.
Completely, totally, for sure!
Again, You have earned the "A" in Chem1151 and I will be honored to mark it as such when SHIP allows final course grades to be entered.
I know you will do well in the BSN program and wish you much success - and a well-deserved winter break!
Prof. Smith


In the words of the bfe, I shall certainly have sweet dreams tonight...
and for more reasons than SRK.
(smile)

1 comment:

Tony O'Conner said...



Tony O'Conner
November 30 at 3:05pm

Thank you for being an awesome professor!

(Student of mine who has now received his Masters degree!!!)