Sunday, November 27, 2016

i miss charles osgood


"CBS Sunday Morning" is simply not the same without his calming, mirthful voice, his "journalism with heart".
I miss his quirky little poems, too.

Maybe part of my affinity for him was linked to the bowtie he always wore. I had a professor at FSU that I had adored, Charlie Mann, and he always had that sartorial adornment, too. Charlie died back in July of 2002, riding his bicycle as he usually did. I don't recall the details other than that, as I was already firmly ensconced here in Savannah.
Recently, his wife died, too.
They were very interesting people and I'm glad I knew them.

The final episode with Charles Osgood on deck was September 25th.
I had even made a note for my kitchen cabinet, to make sure I wouldn't miss it.
What a marvelous show it was on that Sunday morning!
Imagine a Celebration of Life in which the honoree was still healthy and able to enjoy the many accolades and fond memories voiced by family and friends - what a joyous time that would be!
And that's how it was in that episode.
His musical talents on the organ and dulcimer were the highlights of one segment.
His radio show, "The Osgood File", and broadcasting beginnings were the focus of another segment.
And did you know he wrote songs as well as poems?
I had not known, but it certainly makes sense. After all, what are songs if not poetry set to music?

One of his sons, the eldest I think, clearly has his dad's sense of humor!
"I haven't had a decent pancake in twenty-two years," he chirped, with an absolutely straight face.
Very funny!
But, you see, he had grown up accustomed to his dad making pancakes for the family on Sunday mornings.
That hadn't happened since 1994.
I hope he's been enjoying those pancakes for the past two months.

No comments: