Friday, November 25, 2016

hanging with the middle bro



Finally!
You may recall that the last time I saw my middle brother was in the spring.
Wait, let me take that back.
That was the last time I spent more than five minutes with him.
He had shown up on September 13th, moments before I was leaving for class. I had given him a few dollars and arranged to meet on the Friday for lunch at Zaxby's.
He had not shown up, though I had looked for almost two hours.
Flash forward to this morning!
I was grading lab papers when a knock comes on the door.
It was Ronnie!
I let him in and gave him a glass of milk while I finished grading the one question I had been working on for everyone.
Then we talked about Thanksgiving and other brothers and folks keeping in touch...
and I asked him if he was ready to have a new phone again...
and yes he was, was the grateful reply.
I made him promise to hold onto it for more than two weeks.
He did.
So, off we went to get a phone.
Then back we came to my house to get it activated.
Once the minutes were set, then it time to fill the phone book. I always do that for him, with every phone I've ever bought for him.
Then, I called his son.
"Make a note of this number. It's your Papa's new phone. Here he is," as I handed him the phone.
They talked for a little while, even arranging for Michael to pick him up later for a dinner of Thanksgiving leftovers with him and the family.
Nice!
Then, I called his daughter.
Repeating my earlier message, I then handed the phone to Ronnie again.
After a few minutes of conversation and words of love, he handed the phone back to me.
So I called our local brother, but his phone was tied up, so I left a message.
Major coolness!
By this time, it was approaching 2 PM.
Off to Popeye's to satisfy his craving for a fried chicken snack.
Then I gave him some money for cigarettes and off he went.
Mission accomplished!

i thank You, God, that I was home!
i thank You, God, that I was able to spend some quality time with him!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I had forgotten to post the words of wisdom I had from the Universe this morning. JSYK, I did not see this until this evening...so, looks like the words were spot on!
*****
From: The Universe
Date: Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 3:43 AM
Subject: TUT - A Note from the Universe
To: faustina

Faustina, I'm hungry. Hungry for adventure.
The adventure of love.
Tell you what: The more you give of it today to the least deserving on your list, the more your life will change.
Cowabunga,
The Universe