Saturday, November 5, 2016

kevin completes his quest!


This is Kevin, clad in his finisher's jacket and sporting his finisher's medal.
(You can't really see that because of budget cuts.
Trust me,
it's an inside joke.)

This is the race map for the 6th Rock'n'Roll Savannah Marathon.
Kevin's arrival times at the checkpoints are recorded thereon, based on his texts to me and Jane at the start, then every five miles.

Here he is, approaching Jenkins High School, near mile 15!
Kevin was in my 'hood!!!
He even veered off course to grant me a brief big, sweaty, hug!
What a treat!
(smile)

There he goes!
He was heading back toward the high school, then onward to Daffin Park before a return to downtown.
This was just past mile 19.
Go, dancing bear, go!

And so he did,finishing the 26.2 mile race in almost exactly 6 hours.
Impressive!
To finish a marathon has been his quest for seven years.
Today: success!!!

For my part, I tried to make sure he knew he was loved!
Besides my sweatshirt, I also decorated two posters to cheer him on and assure him that he was totally aWeSOmE!

This was the one I held as he neared me at the high school.
(Maybe it's the reason for the hug?)
The other was propped on a bush as he came back toward me for mile 19.


I also sent goofy little poems as he checked in along the way.
He had sent an early morning text to thank me and Jane (honorary Mom) for being there as his support group. After I responded, I climbed back into my warm bed. Trust me, I had meant to go back to sleep! Instead, two poems had popped into my head, self-made! I had to jump out of bed to write them down before they vanished back into thin air!
So, here they are, two spontaneous, two deliberately constructed to round out the set.

After mile 5:
Maintain your pace
with a smiling face
and that's how you
will complete the race!

After mile 10:
The parks downtown
are oh so pretty!
Time now to explore
the rest of the city!

As encouragement around mile 18 (before he came into sight at mile 19):
Move your feet
to the music's beat
with a smile on your face
as you go down the street!

After mile 25.2:
Returning to downtown,
maybe time for a stroll.
Just keep moving, Kevin,
you're close to the goal!

I'll leave it up to you to guess which ones got me out of bed!
(smile!)

Now, I'm off to the Lucas Theatre to usher for a memorial service.
Later!

1 comment:

Kevin 18027 said...


Kevin Crabtree
November 6 at 1:58pm

Post Race Update:

Dear Everyone,

Yesterday was the big day.
I took me many, many years, but with the support of my friends and family. I did it.
I lost 100 pounds and ran the marathon.
Serendipitously, achieving both on the same day.

The full marathon, is 26.2 miles.
But for me it was a symbol. A kind of Holy grail.
Everything that I thought (and I'm sure many others thought) I would never be able to do.

I am here to tell you that it was worth it.
Every single minute of years of training was worth it.
Ghandi was right.
Eventually you win, but first they laugh at you.
You just keep on

I am so grateful to so many people who have been so supportive.

My parents, for the Christmas gifts of gym bags, and running shoes and getting up early to drive me to races. My coworkers like Daniel R Beam and Sue Saccardi, who have been so supportive. My road crew Jane Lawthers Hoffman, Rob Hessler and Faustina Smith, who were there along the route mapping out every mile. The Savannah Striders Track club. The staff of the Habersham YMCA, Dee Dee and Reggie. Thank you to my family, like Mona Eaton whose been so supportive from afar. My local and Internet friends.
Gayle Nicholson, Hec Rod Offer Shop, and too many others to even mention.

Most especially Dr. Cedric Stratton, a veteran Boston marathoner who was willing to serve as my mentor and coach.

I love you all.
and now, I'm going to take a nap.