Friday, August 23, 2013

6 empty bottles of tequila to keep me company

The song is from Royal Court of China and appears on their "Geared and Primed" album.
Of course, that song is special to me, as tequila is my poison of choice.
In particular, this brand of tequila.
Cabo Wabo Reposado.
Mighty fine.
I've been enjoying it since... well, ever since fall of 2007. As you well know, that was the prelude to my AD world and the times were very rough on my psyche. I needed something to take the edge off, to allow me to sleep peacefully.
Tequila has been my choice of poison since I was in my late teens. (Yes, I'm old enough that 18 was the legal drinking age. Yes, tequila, like all alcohols, is a poison. If you don't believe me, try watering your plants with it and see what happens.)
So, there it was, fall of 2007, and I was wandering around in the liquor store. And what did I espy with my little eye?
A beautiful blue gem.
A beautiful blue gem filled with tequila.
A be-yoo-ti-ful blue gem filled with sipping tequila that was crafted by one of my favorite rock singers.
I guess I was predisposed to like it, as I've actually been to Cabo Wabo, once upon a time. We (when I was still wed to the Detroiter) didn't tour that paricular tequila factory, but we did go to Todos Santos to visit the Hotel California.
Yes! That Hotel California!
And we did tour a tequila factory earlier on the cruise, when we had docked in ...hmmm, Acapulco? Puerto Vallarta? It's been a few years... Anyway, what I recall most was how good the sipping tequilas were and - are you ready to learn something? - the lack of a hangover when drinking 100% blue agave tequila.
Seriously.
That is 100% true, too. I've performed several experiments over the past six years, with the same result every time. No hangover, regardless of quantity imbibed.
So, no cheap tequila for me. No mixers, either.
I like it neat.
I just wish it still came in those beautiful blue glass bottles.

No comments: