Sunday, August 18, 2013

ain't it funny... how time... slips away

This is the day my life AD began. I hadn't known at the beginning of the day just how momentous it would turn out to be.

I've been trying to organize all the bits and pieces scattered around. This bit was in a container with a bunch of magnets and school pictures of children and souvenirs of shows past.
At first, I just thought it was another Sand Gnats ticket, put away safely for who knows what reason. Perhaps attended with someone that made the event more special? Perhaps because it was an away game? What was that date?
Saturday. 7 July, 2007.
Damn.
Why on Earth had I held on to this?
Well, you want to hold on to something when it leads to a life change... right?
No longer. I'm going to have a ceremonial burning after I write this.
Oddly, I remember far more of the details of that day than I do of most.
Details from the early part of the day, when life stilled seemed to be "normal."
Not that life was very normal at that point. My dear mother-in-law had died on April 15th and my husband and I were still flying back and forth to Michigan to attend to her estate. Then, just before my 49th birthday at the end of May, I had my gallbladder evicted. The latest disruption, a week earlier at the tail end of June, had been the arrest of my youngest brother for the death of his girlfriend.
So, yeah, I guess the month of July needed to up the ante.
So to speak.
Sigh.

You know, I had thought I would go into the details here, but I've changed my mind. Bad memories seem to persist far too long on their own; why allow this particular one to remain in the ether forever?
No.
Far better to destroy the physical vestige, transform it into carbon dioxide and water vapor and soot.
Good riddance to bad vibes.

No comments: