Monday, August 12, 2013

boom shaka laka laka, boom shaka laka laka

I have been a girl on fire today.
It began with a phone call to a colleague. He is teaching one of the sections of lab with me and had a few questions, to make sure our classes would be in synch.
No problem!
Then I found out that not only does he have my old office (leaving me with none), but he has also been given a fourth year contract for temporary full-time. Say what??? After the department head had told me there was nothing he could do for me because "the policy is three years maximum for temporary full-time."
Really.
Unless you're a man, is that what he meant?
Because that's what seems to be what he meant.
Maybe I should bring a lawsuit for discrimination against the department and the college and the university.
Maybe I should just not sign this horrible contract for part-time work this term.
Of course, if I were to not sign it, then I guess I couldn't legally teach at the university.
Right?
Then the department would have to rush to find someone to teach my lecture and two labs.
All of which are at night.
That would certainly make for an interesting scramble of personnel! What would be hilarious is if the department head himself had to teach those classes because everyone else's schedules were already too heavy.
Truly.
I'm going to find out if I would be better served by filing for unemployment this term.
Then I'll decide whether to sign or not.
Since it's clear the department head doesn't want me around, chances are I'm not ever going to be offered a full-time gig there.
May as well look out for me.
I do hate it for the students, though.
It's a shame what the aftermath is going to do for them.
Still, $250 per week is not going to be enough for me for the rest of the year. Not after a summer of no income.
What ugliness.



1 comment:

Faustina said...

update:
On August 19th, I spoke to the department head about my concerns. He answered my questions honestly and thoroughly. It was a very satisfying conversation and allayed my doubts about continuing to teach there.
Oddly, he also thanked me at the end of our talk.
I guess he doesn't know about my reputation for being upfront with folks in charge. That goes back to my days in the Navy. The XO always knew that if he asked me how things were going, I would tell him.