Saturday, February 7, 2015

100% San Diego


Oh, sweet! I can't recall the reason I had known of this video, but I do remember that my little sister, Sue, and her entire family were to be five of the one hundred people selected to represent the city of San Diego, California.
That's right: five people I know were to be in a video!!!
That was in fall of 2013. Perhaps Sue told me about the project when she was here around that time? Or maybe she mentioned it on facebook?
No matter how that occurred.
I had bookmarked the link and waited for the video to be added. And waited. And waited.
Finally, the wait is over! I can watch my peeps in this historic "play", as the media dubbed the event. Perhaps the misunderstanding arose because the piece is being hosted by the La Jolla Playhouse.
I don't think the media reporters understood the premise of the work.
"100% San Diego" is one of Rimini Protokoll's research projects in statistics. The goal was to obtain 100 people who reflect the classification categories of the three million in the population of the city. For example, the census revealed that 31% are Hispanic, 23% are couples with children, 44% are religious, 16% are 25 to 34 years old. That should mean that 31 of the people selected for the study are Hispanic, 44 of them are religious, et cetera.
Questions will be asked of the group, questions which will visually display their personalities, opinions, and hobbies on the stage. How so? The 100 people will move to the half of the platform which corresponds with their individual answers.
It's an interesting experiment.
How did they find the people for the study? Casting calls?
Nope.
Protokoll's people cast the first person.
I have no idea what algorithm was used to select this person.
Then that person cast the next person.
That next person then cast another.
And so on, until the 100th person had been chosen by the 99th person.
I don't know how valid such a process would be for obtaining a diverse sample of a city's population. I certainly have my doubts as I know five people in the group and they are all related to each other.
So, scientifically, I would have to say there are some flaws in the experimental set, making the results unfit for serious analysis. Of course, if I were to see the demographic breakdown for the total sample set, then I might amend my position.
If...then...
Meanwhile, I can enjoy the pictures of the San Diego branch of my family!

Here's Sue,
introducing herself
and talking about
her marriage to Cyndi.
Above, she is joined by her adopted son, Cooper.

In the lower right of this photo,
the two adopted daughters,
Riley and Dylan,
rush to catch up.
Now, all are together,
with Cyndi holding Dylan's hand
(in the upper right of the frame),
and Riley trailing in the middle.

I don't know what the question may have been, but Dylan is clearly announcing her position!
(She's in the mottled top and gray leggings.)
Riley (off to her left) seems to agree!
Cooper, standing to the left in a dark green shirt in this shot, doesn't seem to have a strong opinion on the topic at hand.
Here's the challenge: where are they in this group photo???
I guess I will play that game some other time!

2 comments:

TUT said...

11 February 2015:

Faustina, no one can be both happy and unhappy at the same time, right?

One blights the other.

So here's what we do: Pick ANY reason to be happy, and unhappiness gets locked out.

And we do it forever.

Yeah, "OMG!!!"
The Universe

me said...

You are so correct, as always.

I have been feeling like I have lost the Boyds of San Diego from my life, after all that transpired last month.

Not quite true.
There is always tomorrow, and time, as long as there is life.

i thank You, God!