Tuesday, February 3, 2015

161161


Home again.
I think I'm home for the evening, too.

Today was a good day.
This morning, I attended an oceanography lecture titled "Buried Alive: Life Beneath The Seafloor". I had found out about it last week via, of all people, my department head, who had posted the information on D of C&P fb page.
Must have been angels looking out for me.
The title alone begged for my attention.
I'm glad I had rsvp'ed for the event, so it was waiting for me when I finally lumbered out of bed. I barely had thirty minutes between my awakening and the start of Dr. Beth Orcutt's Distinguished Lecture.
It was certainly a good way to start my day.
Yes, even without coffee.
There were quite a few high school students in attendance, which was very good. The room in the library at the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography had some retired and older folk present, too. I liked that - an all-ages presentation.
I learned that Google Earth is for much more than looking at friends' houses. Did you know there are hundreds and hundreds of data bases out there, awaiting analysis, full of information collected from the ocean floor for better than forty decades? No need for graduate students to spend years collecting data before writing their dissertations - just use this information.
I lunched there with a retired biology professor, O.C. Lamb, as well as some of the staff personnel at SkIO. He and his wife live in Darien and he suggested a couple of places for me to check out (Skippers, The Wine Bar) and I suggested one to him (the Sunbury Crab Company). Very nice gentleman for a conversation about the ocean.
Afterward, I went downtown, in search of a free ticket to tonight's performance by the Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble. Sadly, it was "sold out". No surprise, really, as this event for the 26th Annual Savannah Black Heritage Festival has been strongly promoted and will be in a small venue. At least I can always watch them on youTube!
I thought about buying a ticket for the Harry Connick, Jr. concert coming up... but it's on Thursday evening and that time is already been designated for a memorial gathering for my friend, Marlin.
I guess it's another instance of the angels looking out for me.
I'll listen to his music on one of my CD's that day.

So, off to home, to grade papers, to work crossword puzzles, to wash a week's worth of coffee cups and sundry other unbroken dishes.
Then... a diversion was warranted.
Something lowkey, not requiring thought.
I chose "The Wedding Ringer".
Excellent choice it was, too!
Light-hearted, full of laughs, a definite rOmP!
Just what the doctor would have ordered.

Now, I'm safely nestled in my warm house.
My car, with its new palindromic mileage, sleeps in the driveway.
Everything is going to be alright.

1 comment:

TUT said...

6 February 2015:

Don't you see?

Those things that haven't yet worked out in your life, Faustina, are anomalies.

And those things that have worked out (all else), create your constantly evolving new normal.

This is called a trend.

Onward and upward,
The Universe