Monday, February 23, 2015

did i miss a memo?


Tonight, I'm watching the Oscars and missing Mama.
It started with J.K. Simmons' acceptance speech for his Best Supporting Actor Oscar for "Whiplash". He urged people to "call your mom. Don't text her or message her, call her. And if you're lucky enough to have both parents still alive, call your mom and your dad."
I started bawling right there and then.
Good thing I wasn't at that Oscar party with the 40+WSN tonight, was my first thought, when I regained composure. I had begged off, due to this allergy or cold or whatever I have. I had felt badly about not going. Now, I was glad I was in the safety of my own home, with no need to explain why I was losing my mind.
Everyone here knows why I'm losing my mind.
(smile)
Then I resumed watching the show, especially enjoying the talented Neil Patrick Harris. And, of course, the musical bits and all of the lovely clothes donned for the evening.
Patricia Arquette's speech after she won for Best Supporting Actress for "Boyhood", the moving words of the two women who won for "Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1", the humble tone of the once-freckle-faced man behind "Big Hero 6".
How did I know he once had freckles?
He told us in his acceptance speech, sharing the story of him telling his mom and dad, as a "freckle-faced boy", that he wanted to work for Walt Disney when he grew up.
Moms and dads have had a lot of public thank-yous tonight.
Was there a memo that went around, reminding attendees to honor those who brought them into the world?
Perhaps there are no more thank-yous to parents than in previous years... might that be the case? Am I simply more attuned to those words of homage this year?

Oh, my! Lady Gaga just sang a musical tribute of the tunes in "The Sound of Music" - and she played it straight! She truly has such a good voice, when she isn't hiding behind a contrived stage presence.
Even more marvelous - the lovely Julie Andrews joined her afterward on the stage! Then Ms. Andrews introduced the line-up for those nominated for Best Original Soundtrack (which went to "The Grand Budapest Hotel")! But first she talked about the fifty years which have passed since she was a lass of thirty who sang as Maria the governess.
Wow.

I'm back again!
I had to go watch the rest of the show!
Eddie Redmayne won Best Actor! Very nice! And he made sure to dedicate his Oscar to the honor of those afflicted with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, better known as ALS. You know, that disease that destroyed the body of Stephen Hawking, but couldn't touch his mind. I'm so glad the bfe and I saw "The Theory of Everything" together!
Best Actress was won by Julianne Moore, for a film I've had two opportunities to see with others. Seriously. Plus, the man at the jazz concert talked to me about it, as his wife had recently died after several years in the unrelenting grip of Alzheimer's Disease. He told me "Still Alice" is true to the effects of the illness.
Three times it's come up. I guess that means I really should go see it.
"Birdman" won for Best Picture!!! Yeah!!!
It's director, Alejandro Iñárritu, won for Best Director, too! Oh, wait, they call that Best Achievement in Directing now. Perhaps they always did and I just missed it?
Anyway, I very much enjoyed that one! I found Michael Keaton to be the absolute best choice for its lead. Why? Who better to portray a man trying to escape the large shadow cast by his superhero character, a man showing he can act without the aid of a costume and cinema's special effects?
I look forward to seeing that one again when JAVAFLIX Savannah next convenes. Ah, to be able to discuss my thoughts with others after a second viewing! Or, perhaps, it would be more correct to say 1 3/4 viewing. You see, I missed the first 20 minutes or so the first time I saw it... Nice to have a free second chance!
Perhaps I'll try to see "Still Alice" while it is still here.
"Whiplash", I hope, will have a rescreening some time, too, now that it's won an Oscar. I hope.

No comments: